Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How crucial is breaking in barrels? >

How crucial is breaking in barrels?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How crucial is breaking in barrels?

Old 08-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by RaySendero
My break-in procedure is to clean barrel real good before shooting it.
Doesn't matter if its new or just new to me.
Ray I'm going to need to correct you on this. Cleaning before shooting is always a good thing. But it is not a break in. With a new rifle, especially a production rifle, you need to first clean it and remove any packing preservative and oils. Then do a barrel break in should you desire to do so. It is relatively a time consuming process. My technique is as follows: Clean the bore after each shot for the first 10 shots. Next is to clean the bore every 5th shot for the next 50 - 60 shots. What this does is laps the bore and eliminates the areas were fouling can build up. This results in a smoother bore that is easier to clean.
With a used rifle I usually scrub it real good with a copper solvent then run an oiled patch followed by a rigorous lapping with J-B Compound then another cleaning. This usually results in getting out any copper fouling and smoothing out the bore. I can usually tell after the first range session and during cleaning if it needs some more work .
Is it necessary. For the average shooter - I'd have to say no. But IMO if you're going to hand on to your new rifle for a fairly long time why not do it? But its your $$.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-23-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

@bronko22000 - There’s fallacy in the logic no matter which side you stand upon. How a shooter justifies barrel break in or justifies NOT breaking in can be logically determined valid or invalid, just as quickly and just as equally.

For example - it seems to make sense, “if you’re going to hang onto a rifle for long time, you might as well break it in.” However, it’s a non-sequitur sentiment, because a lifetime big game hunting rifle won’t be fired often, only needs cleaned once per year with only 10-20 shots fired on it that season, and has a relatively loose minimum tolerance for precision. So breaking in a hunting rifle barrel doesn’t really make sense.

Alternatively, a competition rifle has an extremely low minimum precision tolerance, so it might make sense to say a competition barrel really must be broken in. But there’s no real evidence to prove it increases precision, and typically these rifles aren’t cleaned until precision slips, maybe once every 500 rounds, so speed of cleaning isn’t critical - and the hand lapping step done by the manufacturer vs. a rough hammer forged barrel is really what makes custom barrels easy to clean anyway. Those 500 rounds might happen within a couple months, so the barrel is dead within a year anyway. So why break it in?

Ultimately, we all feel better thinking we did something to make our rifles better, or at least did something which gives our barrels the best chance to be their best. But at the end of the day, barrel break In does a lot more between our ears than it does between our lands.

I like to break In when I have time, but more often than not, I don’t have time, and over half of the custom barrels I buy don’t get broken in. And they still shoot as small as I can ever make any rifle shoot - so even though my own experience proves I’m wasting my time, I still waste my time.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Ray I'm going to need to correct you on this. Cleaning before shooting is always a good thing. But it is not a break in. .....
Bronko. You kinda got my point and missed it too.

LOL - All I do is clean real good.

That's it, That's all I do.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Now having said that; For my hunting rifles,
I have a usually always have hunt purpose and a hunt plan already figured out for it.
As such, I've also got the bullet in mind I want to use.

If possible, I run a quick "experiment" with a factory load that has that bullet.
Shoot two 3 shot groups - Letting the barrel cool between each shot.
I'm looking for first shot fliers and wanting to chrono the velocity and spreads.
This gives me an idea for potential accuracy with my chosen bullet and basic data on velocity.
I'll keep the rest of the box as a standard for life of rifle just in case
I need to go back to these rounds for any future trouble-shooting.
I'll began working-up reloads from this point with my chosen bullet.

Two 3 shot groups from a cool barrel may qualify IYO as "break-in" but really all I do is clean.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
@bronko22000 - There’s fallacy in the logic no matter which side you stand upon. How a shooter justifies barrel break in or justifies NOT breaking in can be logically determined valid or invalid, just as quickly and just as equally.

For example - it seems to make sense, “if you’re going to hang onto a rifle for long time, you might as well break it in.” However, it’s a non-sequitur sentiment, because a lifetime big game hunting rifle won’t be fired often, only needs cleaned once per year with only 10-20 shots fired on it that season, and has a relatively loose minimum tolerance for precision. So breaking in a hunting rifle barrel doesn’t really make sense.

Alternatively, a competition rifle has an extremely low minimum precision tolerance, so it might make sense to say a competition barrel really must be broken in. But there’s no real evidence to prove it increases precision, and typically these rifles aren’t cleaned until precision slips, maybe once every 500 rounds, so speed of cleaning isn’t critical - and the hand lapping step done by the manufacturer vs. a rough hammer forged barrel is really what makes custom barrels easy to clean anyway. Those 500 rounds might happen within a couple months, so the barrel is dead within a year anyway. So why break it in?

Ultimately, we all feel better thinking we did something to make our rifles better, or at least did something which gives our barrels the best chance to be their best. But at the end of the day, barrel break In does a lot more between our ears than it does between our lands.

I like to break In when I have time, but more often than not, I don’t have time, and over half of the custom barrels I buy don’t get broken in. And they still shoot as small as I can ever make any rifle shoot - so even though my own experience proves I’m wasting my time, I still waste my time.
Originally Posted by RaySendero
Now having said that; For my hunting rifles,
I have a usually always have hunt purpose and a hunt plan already figured out for it.
As such, I've also got the bullet in mind I want to use.

If possible, I run a quick "experiment" with a factory load that has that bullet.
Shoot two 3 shot groups - Letting the barrel cool between each shot.
I'm looking for first shot fliers and wanting to chrono the velocity and spreads.
This gives me an idea for potential accuracy with my chosen bullet and basic data on velocity.
I'll keep the rest of the box as a standard for life of rifle just in case
I need to go back to these rounds for any future trouble-shooting.
I'll began working-up reloads from this point with my chosen bullet.

Two 3 shot groups from a cool barrel may qualify IYO as "break-in" but really all I do is clean.
Gentlemen I believe both of you may have missed my point or maybe I didn't express it correctly. I agree for a hunting rifle, even one you're going to hang onto a long time a break-in isn't necessary. Even for a rifle used in a match. I also agree it won't improve precision.
The only reason I do a break in is to lap the barrel to remove those micro burrs that catch fouling. I know there is logic for both sides. But I feel if I can remove as many fouling catching spots in the bore, my job of cleaning the bore to spotless will be easier. We have to face it that some manufacturers crank out guns and the bores are really rough compared to match barrel by custom makers. Those production rifle can benefit from a proper break in process.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Bronko,
Think we both agree on cleaning and
I agree with you that some rifle barrels can benefit from lapping.

This is my long-range hunting rifle - no break-in; just cleaned, that's all:
Attached Thumbnails How crucial is breaking in barrels?-270m700_090713_1.jpg  
Old 08-25-2019, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Admitting up front it’s a line from the former sitcom, “the Office,” I often say, “I’m not superstitious, but I’m a little stitious.”

Barrel break in, in my experience, is little to nothing more than voodoo.

But...

It’s voodoo I do do.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Admitting up front it’s a line from the former sitcom, “the Office,” I often say, “I’m not superstitious, but I’m a little stitious.”

Barrel break in, in my experience, is little to nothing more than voodoo.

But...

It’s voodoo I do do.
LOL I like that! Now if I can only remember it.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

This sparked a pretty good discussion. I ended up not doing the break in procedure. Instead, I cleaned them thoroughly beforehand, fired 10 rounds to get them more or less dialed in, and I'll clean them before I take them out again. That 327 especially needs a good cleaning, those American Eagle loads left the bore filthy.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Good for you Lone Wolf!

Now that your decision is in, I like to leave one more tip some friends of mine use back when we were shooting on a 22LR team.
I didn't think of in at first - as we were discussing CF single shots and hunting rifles.
I remember this when Bronko mentioned lapping rifle barrels.
Several other members on our team were (I'm not going to call'em collectors) - They were "gatherers" of old used 22LRs.
They had their competition rifles,
but we couldn't travel together anywhere that they weren't stopping at every pawn and gun shop buying old 22LRs.
Old Rem and Win Comp rifles, 22LR military trainers, oh list goes on and on.

The very first thing they would do to these old used rifles was to clean and polish the throat.
22LR ammo is dirty and is notorious for collecting this "soot" in a ring at the throat of the barrel.
They would brush, clean, polish the throat over and over repeatedly to remove this "soot" ring.
They used Brownell's Bore Bright polish - More a polish that a lapping compound,
But they used it like a lapping to completely remove this ring before shooting them.

So there, we covered the 22LRs just in case it's of interest for others reading.
I haven't had occasion to used it, but they convinced me of this tip.

Last edited by RaySendero; 08-26-2019 at 02:45 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.