Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Don' t you hate it when... >

Don' t you hate it when...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Don' t you hate it when...

Old 11-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Don' t you hate it when...

someone else shoots your rifle not only better than you, but doesn' t even know it?

I took a friend of mine to the range yesterday because he was interested in handguns and I had a few he could try out. I gave him a bit of instruction and he shot them pretty darn good.

I brought my garand along for him to try out- I usually take a few different rifle to the range for him to shoot as his only experience is with his pellet gun that he uses to dispatch rodents around his house. I showed him how the rifle works, how to load it, etc. We started at 50 yards shooting at a couple of milk jugs- I shot 4 into a jug until the last hit finally lanched what was left of it over the berm. He shot 3 into another jug, then I told him to try for the 1/2 gallon jug, which he hit without a problem- all the shooting was done from a standing position. He was alittle suprised about the enbloc flying past his face as he is left handed

We then set out a couple of medium sized pumpkins out at 100 yards. I had him load the rifle- I was a bit nervous and did not understate the idea of keeping his thumb away from the bolt when loading, as its a litle awkward lefthanded, but he did all right and kept his thumb intact. He tok 3 shots at what was about a 6" diameter pumpkin. The pumpkin did not move and we both thought he missed. He handed me the rifle and said he thought the sights were off. I shot a milk jug that we had placed next to the pumpkins, which promptly exploded, I chuckled a little bit and said" nope the sights are dead on" and handed the rifle back to him. He blew the next shot as I saw it hit a puddle about 3 feet in front of the pumpkin. He then finished off the clip.

We went down to check the pumpkin, and I was shocked to see 6 holes grouped neatly throught the center of the pumpkin with a spread of less than 2.5" . I knew he jerked one shot low, and I took 1 shot at the milk jug, so all 8 shots were accounted for. It turned out that the fmj bullets entered and exited the pumpkin without upsetting it at all. This was a hellava display of shoting when you consider that the wind was gusting at around 30 mph in our faces, it was raining, and about 45 degrees out, not to mention that all of his shots were from a standing position.

Old 11-04-2003, 09:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Don' t you hate it when...

I know what you mean. I had a glock full size 40 S&W. It shot pretty well but not exceptional. My friend was out to the range with me one day and ask if he could try it. He had told me before that he spent many years in the service shooting bulleye competion. I told him it shot fair and loaded 11 or 12 rounds in the magazine. We had a target at 25 yards so he took it and off hand emptied the magazine in a group of about one inch. All he said after looking at the target was " It don' t shoot to shabby " I was glad he shot first, I suddenly remembered something I had to do at home.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:01 AM

That' s good of both of you to admit it.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:53 PM

Sometimes you are going to run into someone who is naturally a good shot.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

i took my non hunting, non shooting room mate in college out plinking with a 22 one day. he had never fired a gun before. we were way out in the country under a bridge shooting at targets on the bank. a pigeon flew by about 50+ yards away. he shot at it (i know, that' s a bad thing to do with a 22) and took a bunch of feathers off its tail. the pigeon kept on flying.

i told him that it was a bad shot, since he didn' t drop the pigeon.