Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Brain Cramp

Old 07-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Brain Cramp

I had a major brain cramp this morning. My friend and I went to the range today. I brought along a T/C Impact 50 cal muzzleloader, my Marlin 1895 Cowboy .45-70 and my new to me Winchester model 70 in 270 WSM. I knew the Marlin gets finicky with a warm barrel so I wanted to shoot that first. Then I grabbed the Winny. I slid a round into the chamber and the bolt wouldn't close! WTH? I had double checked the case length and even trimmed .010" shorter. OAL was such that the bullets were .050" off the rifling. I had also checked the chambering of the first loaded round and had no problem.
I tried 3 different rounds at the range and I couldn't close the bolt on any of them. I came home and checked everything again. I even had a couple more cases all sized and primed ready to load. I tried an empty and that wouldn't allow me to close the bolt. I pulled the expander plug/decapping pin from the die and ran the primed case into the sizing die. NOPE, I set the die back down an additional 1/8 turn and tried again. NOPE!!!
Then, it finally dawned on me: You idiot, you have a Model 70 with controlled round feeding! I put the rifle on half safe, pushed a round into the magazine and pushed the bolt forward and down it dropped like snot on a door knob.
Boy I could have kicked myself in the butt for that brain cramp. Now I have to make another trip to the gun range. (yeah, like that's a bummer!)
Old 07-01-2019, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

for the younger set who has no clue what hes talking about

https://artoftherifle.com/controlled...98-mauser.html

and yes before someone brings it up the extractor geometry can be modified to pop over the rim on a cartridge fed directly into the chamber,
and then have the bolt manually closed but that partially or can defeat the full strength of CONTROLLED ROUND FEED feature

Last edited by hardcastonly; 07-01-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I’d challenge, “the younger set” with access to information at their fingertips, have proven to be to be more aware of CRF vs. PF than the two generations before them. I’ve used Ruger M77 MkII’s in my rifle classes alongside Rem 700’s for 20yrs, “kids” today have studied far more than I have seen any time in the past.

On the other side of that coin: it’s not so uncommon for me to run a double feed when I try to unload a push feeder with a blind mag. My Rugers will grab the round and eject without even closing the bolt, whereas my 700 clones and Savages have to have the bolt locked, and every now and again, that fact temporarily escapes me.

Equally silly in both - in many competition formats, a shooter must move with an open bolt. If a shooter forgets to move, then remembers after closing the bolt, it’s common for the shooter to mistakenly fully open the bolt, and eject that loaded round out onto the ground. The correct course is to simply LIFT the bolt, but more often than not, guys shuck it out on the ground. In some formats, that’s a procedural penalty, in others, it’s a miss, in some others still, it’s just lost time as the shooter has to scramble a spare round into the port to make up for the dropped round.

I’ve also dropped my hammer/striker on a safety many times. Silly things happen sometimes.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree NoMercy. I'm astonished at how much my 8 YO grandsons know. Between the internet and having their faces constantly in books (when they're not playing video games or playing outside) I'm positive they knew more than I did at that age and likely older.
And my 15 YO grandson is already taking college classes!