Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Thoughts on Chronograph >

Thoughts on Chronograph

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thoughts on Chronograph

Old 06-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Spike

Default Thoughts on Chronograph

It’s time to buy a new chronograph. I’d like some opinions based on experience with any particular models. I currently use a basic chrony. It functions for the most part with only the occasional “err” the biggest problem is the skyscreens. I have to tape them together to keep them from coming apart.
The new isn’t required to have ton of bells and whistles such as blue tooth, if it does all the better. I just want something accurate and reliable. It does also need the ability to measure arrow speeds.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2019, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lab Radar appears to be the choice of long range shooters and accuracy chasers. They are expensive and I believe you must attach it to the barrel which affects harmonics.

Visit the Long Range Hunting Forum for extensive chronograph discussion.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Caldwell Ballistic precision which goes for about $100. Its been good for my needs. I have had issues with the sun shades blowing off if I put it too close to the muzzle of my muzzle loader but 10 yards away its fine. Have had occasional errors due to alignment but its pretty forgiving. Most of the issues with errors were due to either needing to use the shades or not.

I would get a blue tooth model next time. I hate the cord. Sometimes the cord plugs in and works other times I have to mess with it to get it to work. Then there is always tripping over it when adjusting the chrono. Hope that helps.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Lab Radar appears to be the choice of long range shooters and accuracy chasers. They are expensive and I believe you must attach it to the barrel which affects harmonics.

Visit the Long Range Hunting Forum for extensive chronograph discussion.
You have confused the Lab Radar with the Magnetospeed chronograph. The Magnetospeed is attached to the barrel, and a Lab Radar is not. Both are fairly expensive and very accurate.

To the OP: If you want to measure arrow speed and do not want to pay the cost of a Lab Radar you will have to live with sky screens.