Guns Like firearms themselves, there’s a wide variety of opinions on what’s the best gun.

Rem. Sendero

Old 04-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hhardrockminer View Post
Hey All,
I passed on the Sendero, as it was at the gun show but the weight bothered me a little.
We hunt Mont. taking deer, elk and we have shot a couple of bears(son has).
The 300 will be topped with the new Athlon scope I bought and depending on how the long practice goes I may do more of that when not hunting.
I really appreciate all the opinions and help as Mr.bb and I have talked a few times and I know all opinions and comments are meant well.
Thanks again for the help and will update when the new rifle is obtained.
hhardrock
all of your more dedicated long range rifles are going to be in this weight range and size rifle
the weight and longer barrels are there to make shooing long easier, as weight an be your friend when shooting afar
maybe not fun to carry while hunting LOL
but has its advantaged when learning to shoot farther out there
not saying lighter rifles don;t shoot well far, as some do very well, and there are many very accurate light weight rifles
and many custom rifle makers that make em!

but to Learn how to shoot far, having a rifle MADE for it, makes learning easier IMO
and there are few better platforms to learn on than a rem 700 action rifle!
Old 04-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Sendero in 7mm RM was my first long range deer and elk rifles. I was young enough - and still am, even though nearly 20yrs have passed - to happily carry a minimalist pack and a heavier rifle for longer shots.

These years later, I favor a 300wm over a 7RM - and in 2019, Im not sure Id buy either as my first choice.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Spike

Hey,
Just pulled the trigger on a new Bergara B14 300wm, I hope I made the right choice as I haven't much knowledge of the Bergara rifle.
I was close to doing a deal for a Howa 1500 when the man asked if I'd consider the Bergara, it seemed like a good fit compared to the Howa and the price was not much different than the Howa. Under 700 so we put the Athlon on it and its sitting there waiting to go for a good outing Sat. I hope if the weather liars are right.
Thanks to all and any comments or thoughts on the rifle would be very much appreciated.
Hhardrock
Old 04-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

well congrats to you on a fine rifle
I have never shot one of these rifles, but have heard very good things about them and they been making great barrels for a long time, so no reason there guns shouldn;t be very accurate rifles!
and I like the fact they take rem scope base, makes for a lot of options then for you!

and don't forget to post some pic's if you like and come back and tell us how you like it and how it shoots
Old 04-17-2019, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

No experience with those, but I have read some positive things.

-Jake
Old 04-18-2019, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

In a manner of speaking, the upgrade features of the Bergara 700 clones make them everything a production 700 should be. Most Rem 700s still shoot phenomenally, but the Bergaras tend to match them, so the other features and the company reputations/legacies become the real deciding factors. For reputation, both can turn out lemons, both can turn out diamonds, and both have tolerance stacking opportunities in between - some folks might act like the Bergara is a custom or blueprinted action, but its really just another production action, not immune to manufacturing tolerances. For Legacy, the Remington brand wont go away, and its large enough and worth enough that it will be here as long as firearms are here, and can only really be bought by someone who is savvy enough to be good stewards of the brand. Say what you will about Remingtons QC in recent years, it is following industry average and consumer tolerance trends, but they DO have as good of customer service and support as anyone in the game. If they sell again in the future, that will likely remain true, just as it has for Savage, Winchester, and Remington as theyve all restructured multiple times. Bergara, on the other hand, doesnt have that history and an ownership change might mean a tidal shift in quality and/or product support - theyre far more vulnerable to this type of business redirection than Remington.

But all of that really only matters if you need customer customer service support. The Bergara has better design features youd be spending money to modify into a Rem 700. As long as youre vetting the rifle NOW, proving out it doesnt have any manufacturing defects, and fixing NOW what may ail your new rifle, then the distant future doesnt really matter. Youll get to enjoy a better extractor design NOW, enjoy a better trigger NOW, enjoy a better stock NOW, and enjoy a great shooting rifle NOW.

Spending over about $800, I dont bother with factory rifles at all, but between the two, for a working hunting rifle, Id rather have the Bergara.