Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Decisions-Decisions >

Decisions-Decisions

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Decisions-Decisions

Old 03-31-2019, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Decisions-Decisions

I've been thinking of buying a Ruger Mark IV or 22/45. My son wants to start shooting competition at a local range, mostly 25 and 50-meter slow fire. He may eventually want to fire large caliber, which is usually 45 ACP or 38 super.
I was thinking of a Ruger Mark IV as being a good starter pistol for him and also something I can use to harvest a few Rabbits.
European Rabbits have a 12 month season here and are tasty.
The decision problem is that I can't decide on the Mark IV or the 22/45. The transition from the 22/45 to a 1911 may be an easier transition for my son, The downside of the 22/45 may be the plastic parts. I'm old fashioned and am pessimistic about plastic parts lasting well.
An input. would be appreciated.
I'm retired, money isn't an issue but I am on a budget. I'd rather buy it once and keep it forever than spend unwisely.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

After trying a few different .22 pistols for the twins, including the Mark IV and the 22/45, I settled on the Browning Buck Mark Field Target. If you want something that would be a good transition piece to a 1911 while still being a really nice little comp pistol that he could make really good scores with then that is a really good .22. Now there are some really good .22 conversion kits for 1911's out there. I didn't go with that because the twins just aren't big enough yet for a full size 1911 for really good accuracy but your son my be bigger than them. Don't know his age. Take a look at the whole buck mark line as there are quite a few in it. They cost a bit more than the Ruger's but they are well made and shoot like a dream.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

as I always try and tell folks buying handguns, the GUN that fits the shooters hands , they will always shoot better than a gun that YOU think is a better gun!
SO this being said, I would take the kid to a few shops and let HIM hold a few and see what one HE likes best and best fits HIM

as for the two you listed above, the mark IV Competition model would get my vote of them two listed, if it again fit the kids hand well

also note there was a few recalls on these mark IV pistols, so if buying one ask if the recall was done or not on it!
Old 03-31-2019, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
as I always try and tell folks buying handguns, the GUN that fits the shooters hands , they will always shoot better than a gun that YOU think is a better gun!
SO this being said, I would take the kid to a few shops and let HIM hold a few and see what one HE likes best and best fits HIM

as for the two you listed above, the mark IV Competition model would get my vote of them two listed, if it again fit the kids hand well

also note there was a few recalls on these mark IV pistols, so if buying one ask if the recall was done or not on it!
Guess I should have stated his age, he is 32 His hands and mine are the same size, somewhere between L and XL, He is a talented shooter (a natural) but has never shown any real interest in shooting until recently. The first time he shot a round of skeet he got 24. He has a knack, good hand-eye coordination.
My thought was to get him a decent pistol and/if he got to the point he was good with it to get him a set of custom grips.
I have big hands but prefer a single stack pistol, he may be different.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pistol shooting isn’t a natural process. An ergo grip in a Hammerli certainly doesn’t feel natural the first time you pick one up, but the grips certainly bring value for shooting.

Personally, if you think he’ll do it more than casually, skip the Ruger or anything like it and start at least with a Smith & Wesson 41. If he wants a field toy which can also pretend to be a match pistol, then the Ruger is fine. The 22/45 would have a more similar grip to a 45 1911 for his centerfire gun, but personally, I prefer the Mark series of pistols for the task. A Mark II and an older Springfield were my first Bullseye pistols, and I wouldn’t feel too terribly under-gunned with new of the same if I started over today.