Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
6.5 creedmoor hornady black ammo >

6.5 creedmoor hornady black ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

6.5 creedmoor hornady black ammo

Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default 6.5 creedmoor hornady black ammo

Has anyone used this on game? I'm looking for a round that would be good on deer and antelope. I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't recommended for deer but that it was very accurate.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

those match bullets are not listed as game bullet designs
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/6-5-creedmoor-140-gr-eld-match#!/

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/6-5-creedmoor-143-gr-eld-x-precision-hunter#!/

hornady listed this as the better option, yes its a bit more expensive but the projectiles designed for hunting, not paper targets

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...n-hunter-20box

Last edited by hardcastonly; 02-10-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ELD-m’s really aren’t made for hunting, but like the A-max before them (same bullet in many models, just different tip), they do quite well on game under the right circumstances and given the right expectations.

I wouldn’t recommend them, since there are better options, but like many match bullets - they’ll do the job. The A-Max used to be included in the “hunting bullet” section from Hornady, but has been since removed, and the ELD-m relegated only to the target section.

I haven’t used one in 6.5 Creedmoor, but did take my buck last year with a 123grn ELD-m. Retention wasn’t great, but it delivered death. The bullet might have “failed” by some arbitrary weight retention standard, but it certainly didn’t fail to destroy the buck’s heart and anchor him quickly. Used another match bullet this season, same result - lots of venison in the freezer and a taxidermy bill coming...

Old 02-23-2022, 02:10 PM
Spike

Default 2 for 2

I have used the 140 gr Hornady Black to tag a deer two years in a row. It expands but probably not as much as some would like. It hits them hard and if you put it in the right place, they aren’t going to run very far. 30 yards last year and 60 yards this year. It is cheap, accurate, and kills.