Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
big bore at the range >

big bore at the range

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

big bore at the range

Old 12-13-2018, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Default big bore at the range

I recently visited a local outdoor range , I brought about 6 large coin bags stuffed with rubber mulch to use as a rifle rest,
and several rifles that have rather noticeable recoil, 378 wby, 458 LOTT , now I have a vest with a PAST recoil shield sewn into the shoulder,
I managed to shoot some decent rather tight 1"-2" 100 yard groups off the bench rest,
and once I had the 458 LOTT sighted in to hit where I prefer to sight in my rifles (at 3.5" high at 100 yards)
the rifles loaded with a 540 grain hard cast bullet pushed to about 1800 fps,
thats not max but it has significant recoil,(bullet looks like this one)
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/47...n-semi-pointed

I started to shoot a few off hand groups just to see how I could do, well the guy next to me and the guy running the range,
walk over to watch for a bit and theres only about 6 people total on that range at this time.
after a few shots were fired the guy next to me asked if he could try a shot, as he had never fired a serious power larger bore rifle.
I reminded him that the rifle must be held correctly and that it had a significant recoil level,
I showed him how to wrap his arm in the sling and properly shoulder the rifle, and pointed out that the rifle was not yet loaded,
but to try a few practice trigger pulls and to maintain the correct sight picture even after the trigger was pulled.
the range officer watched this with interest, I then suggested the guy temporarily borrow my shooting vest with the recoil pad,
he politely refused as he only intended to shoot once to get a feel for the rifle.
well I loaded it and as expected the recoil was a bit more than the guy expected , but he managed to hit the target and not drop the rifle.
he instantly became convinced that his need for owning a 458 lott was now very low in his priority list!
no harm done, now the range officer had been watching this and asked if he could try a shot ?
I started to go through the same basic prep talk, but he said he had been watching and If Id just hand him a cartridge he would take a shot and be fine....
I then suggested the guy temporarily borrow my shooting vest with the recoil pad,
I suggested I hold the sling, I could see the potential result as he decided not to use it correctly wrapped around his arm or properly shoulder the rifle,
as expected, the rifle recoil knocked him out of his sunglasses and forced him back on his back leg rather instantly,
if the rifle had a scope instead of iron sights Im sure he would have had a few stitches in his forehead, as the rifle was not held firmly in the shoulder.
Im sure pride kept him from screaming like a little girl, but he looked like someone hit in the head with a golf club, rather stunned.
he almost dropped the rifle (It was a good idea I held the sling) the previous shooter said,
"kinda gets your full attention when it goes off... doesn,t it"
the range officer was not overly happy, it was probably a mistake to let him shoot the rifle.
honestly its a skill you need to learn, to properly shoot a large bore rifle,
and you can,t get away with the bad form and habits that you could ignore if you shoot something like a 308 win or 30/30.
I don,t know if there will be any repercussions,...I doubt it....but its obvious that some people will not take good advice
now I know several guys who can accurately shoot big bore rifles, but its an acquired skill, and its certainly not something joe-average
will do well without some instruction.

thread on bags
http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...10/#post-73479

heavy recoil rifles
http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...90/#post-77601

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...87/#post-72914

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...846/#post-7368

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...03/#post-10070

BTW
proper sling use, a rifle recoil pad for your vest
and a recoil pad on the stock
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0001001641

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0094310010

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-14-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

May I also suggest using a boxer/footballer's stance for shooting a big bore rifle in the field standing position: Like a Modern Isosceles Stance --- Feet somewhat squared to the target and weight on the balls of your feet.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now I know you do not know a thing about shooting, that was ridiculous. By the way, Isosceles is a handgun stance that most have switched from to Weaver because it is much steadier.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-14-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Needless to say...I'm pretty fast shooting rapid fire with a buckshot loaded 12 gauge semi auto or pump shotgun --- and on target as well.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Lord, is the little liberal trying to display intelligence and failing miserably again? Erno, if you tried to shoot from any modern handgun stances with a .458lot you can prepare for 2 things, a miss of epic proportions and more than likely a sore cheek. I am going to assume that you have never even shot a rifle of any bore bigger than a .22lr, if even that. Field shooting isn't something you can pick up from the internet little guy.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aren't any of you guys familiar with the rifle isosceles grip & stance at all? Of course a shooter may have to adjust his feet slightly for the best accuracy.

But I will guarantee...that any shooter will (regardless of training) instinctively revert to the roughly Isosceles position, with either a rifle, shotgun or pistol, when he is being charged by a dangerous animal; like any of the "Big Five" or any other conquerable critter.

Last edited by Erno86; 12-15-2018 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added a word
Old 12-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

NO! you'll revert to what you've spent DECADES learning how to do that results in you making quick and accurately placed shots ,
and if you've been accustom to using a major caliber rifle you will instinctively use that large bore rifle the same way you've trained for decades
if you handle a 458 lott bolt action the way I see most guys use an ar15 or 30/30 youll have a bloody nose at a minimum.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

Don't even try hardcast. That little liberal has absolutely zero knowledge of firearms or the operations of them.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

All the little liberal knows is what he reads while googling the internet looking for something to post that validates him and that has an much chance of being BS as it does being valid. It is patently obvious the individual has never hunted a day in his life and he probably does not own a firearm.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've done a lot of shooting at the range with calibers like the 416 Rigby, 450 Rigby, 458 Win Mag, 458 Lott, 450/400 Nitro express in a double rifle etc... when I was hitting Africa every couple of years. You learn real quick that you have to have a different stance for those than you do when shooting your regular deer rifle. You have to hang onto them and get most of your weight on your back foot so you can roll with the recoil. But hey what do I know about it. I'm sure someone like Erno, who has probably never shot anything bigger than a 300 Win Mag, knows so much more than I do.

On a side note, I really miss my 450.400 double rifle. Never should have let that one get away from me in a trade. William Evans underlever made in 1898 and completely engraved with the roses and scroll pattern. Great old girl.