Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm-08

Old 10-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Spike

Default 7mm-08

What 7mm-08 factory ammo are you using ?
Old 10-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

140 Nosler Accubond
Old 10-03-2018, 04:40 AM
Spike

Thanks ,looking for around to shoot out of my new model 70 .So far Hornady whitetail and Federal fusion won,t give good groups ,still looking .
Old 10-03-2018, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

very gun will like different things, several of my 7mm08's like Winchester ballistic tip silver tips very well,in a 140 grain
Old 10-03-2018, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

120 gr, either nosler or hornady. loaded with IMR 3031 powder
RR
Old 10-03-2018, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

When I was sighting in my rifle, believe it or not my best groups out of my brand new kimber 7mm 08 were the cheap PPU bullets that I used to break in the barrel. After breaking in the barrel, I tried Hornady Superperformance, Hornady whitetail and Winchester fusion all 139 or 140 grain. All so tried 175 grain handloads which had the largest group..

I settled on the Hornady Whitetail because they were the second best and that is what I used to sight my scope in.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

its funny, accu bonds and ballistic tips from nosler are pretty much the same as the Winchester ballistic tips, yet neither one shoots any where near as good as the win's in several of my 7mm08's, even tried a lot of reloading to make the Noslers work, as I like the bullets and they shoot so well in other calibers I have
some times a gun is just picky, and you have to find what it likes
and if your like me when you DO find a factory load a gun likes, go buy a 100 round of it,. and your set for a while LOL
I used to always just by a case to get the same run, but that was when I had a gun shop and could open case up and confirm they were all the same!, as well as got things a lot cheaper than buying from a store today!
Old 10-03-2018, 03:07 PM
Spike

Thanks guys ,the rifle is a Winchester model 70 extreme weather 7mm-08 ,got a box of 150 grain Federal blue box soft point and Remington corelokt 140 grain to try next .
Old 10-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Spike

Well I have shot five factory loads and still no luck ,Removed scope checked everything and sent scope back to Meopta for them to check ,Got torque for barrel and receiver to stock at 35 inch lbs. from Winchester .Waiting to get scope back and try some more. Ant help is welcome .
Old 10-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, can you tell us what types of groups are you getting?
how are you HOLDING the rifle for testing?
it makes a difference(not saying you don;t know this, but I DON"T know you do either)

are groups stringing one way or another, or just all over the place??
do you have a different scope you can put on it to try?
have you looked really good at the bore, to see if there are any signs of damage? all the mro so at the exit of bore?

how do empty cases appear, any signs of stress?
how are you CLEANING the bore to star with?
HOW hot is the barrel when testing for groups?

is all the ammo your shooting the same or close to grain and bullet design?
any access to a chronograph to see what differences are in round to round?(don't laugh I have seen some factory loads be WAY off)

any chance of having someone else shoot a group or two? again, NOT bashing,. but some times this helps find problems, same can be said with Video-ing yourself shooting, to see if there is a form issue?
do you KNOW what rifling twist is in the barrel? that can some times help in finding better bullet selections!