Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Sometimes things work out.... >

Sometimes things work out....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sometimes things work out....

Old 09-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default Sometimes things work out....

I mounted a scope that I had laying around onto a Ruger 10/22. Found it at a garage sale for a couple bucks, Nothing good, an old Simmons 3-9 or something cheap.

Anyway, went out to the picnic table , just leaning on the table, and set a box out at 50 yards. 1st 3 shots were about an inch left. Adjusted and shot again and had all three right where I wanted them.

​​​​​​ Couldn't have been easier. Shot a couple ten shot groups at various ranges out to 75 yards, wiped it down and put it back away . Guess this garage sale scope was meant to find it's way to me.

-Jake
Old 09-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

got to love it when things work like that, too bad they Don't work out that way more often , life would be a lot easier and more fun! LOL
Old 09-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrbb
got to love it when things work like that, too bad they Don't work out that way more often , life would be a lot easier and more fun! LOL
When I went back into the garage I noticed a string gasoline smell.

The tractor my kids run around on had a wet spot under it and had an empty tank (should have been about 3/4 full).

So I guess the day evened itself out....

-Jake
Old 09-12-2018, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
When I went back into the garage I noticed a string gasoline smell.

The tractor my kids run around on had a wet spot under it and had an empty tank (should have been about 3/4 full).

So I guess the day evened itself out....

-Jake
well some times a win is win but a loss is not far behind, or so I seem to find it that way
I almost feel any more when something good happens, as always seems something bad follows for me! LOL

But as for the fuel, MY guess is you got a stuck carb float, and if so,m check the oil on the motor, as fuel tends to run into motor cases when things over flow like that and , fuel in oil can ruin things inside a motor!
Old 09-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes things just work, no rhyme or reason to it. I have a model 70 featherweigh in .308 with a Tasco scope on it. Shoots as straight as any rifle I've ever shot. The reticle in the Tasco glows in the dark, no idea what it is made of or why it glows. I was going to upgrade the scope but rethought that, no sense in messing with success.

My whiz bang SSG doesn't shoot any straighter than my model 70 with the budget scope, the scope on my SSG cost more than my entire model 70 with scope.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

My daughter is on her third lawnmower, two have stuck floats, good call about changing the oil. Sooner or later I'll inherit the broken lawn mowers. I did buy her a funnel with a built in filter, maybe mower number three will last for awhile.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

She's only two, almost three, but will drive that thing as long as you'll let her go.

-Jake
Old 09-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
She's only two, almost three, but will drive that thing as long as you'll let her go.

-Jake
Cute! I have this mental picture of her driving out the front gate and heading for town.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Sometimes things just work, no rhyme or reason to it. I have a model 70 featherweigh in .308 with a Tasco scope on it. Shoots as straight as any rifle I've ever shot. The reticle in the Tasco glows in the dark, no idea what it is made of or why it glows. I was going to upgrade the scope but rethought that, no sense in messing with success.

My whiz bang SSG doesn't shoot any straighter than my model 70 with the budget scope, the scope on my SSG cost more than my entire model 70 with scope.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I'l add a short story here on this sort of

yrs back in my at gun shop I helped run, I had many great customers that we worked closely with
a used .338 win mag in a ruger bolt action came in(forget exact version /model but a model 77 something) had a beat the crap looking cheap Tasco scope on it, a good customer wanted the gun, but asked if we would let him shoot it first, again long time customer lots of sales, so Sure , we would be at a range doing a shoot and would bring it there for him to shoot(he buy the ammo)
he brought a few types of ammo, shot the gun and the gun shot amazing small groups, guy was happy as a kid at X mas!, couldn;t do paperwork fast enough!
but also couldn't wait to put a GOOD scope on it, bought some high end what ever, put on gun and came back MAD gun wouldn;t shoot(mounted by HIM and as ONLY let HIM work on his guns type of guy)
claiming new scope was bad, and wanted a new DIFFERENT SCOPE< so, we took it back, sold him another scope, , came back again MADDER than ever, another BAD scope, as he knew teh gun shot well before so cannot be the gun or ammo!, and talking like 8-9 inch groups bad!
he assured us all things were as good as could be tight!
third scope, Little better this time but so mad at this pint wanted to get rid if the gun
so we bought it back at a loss for him on all thinmgs
we are not that nice LOL was still a business designed to make money!
so, after some time passed, we thought we would play with the gun and see
had old scope as he didn;t want it, and went to install it and found the base was loose< snugged it up, added scope and gun shot very small groups again!
so, maybe he should have left the old junky scope on the gun as is< WE THINK , he loosened the base as was going to change out and then changed his mind and thus how it got loose in the first place
sold guna few days later to another regular and he was super happy with it and left it was is, as far as I know! HAHA!

high end scopes don;t work any better than junk one's some times, or at least not when there attached to a loose base ! !~
Old 03-12-2019, 11:05 AM
Spike

Funny - My girls love to drive my John Deere around the yard. They put the cart on the back, throw in a bunch of patio cushions and ride all day if I let them. Good times!