Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Went to the range today with my Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP >

Went to the range today with my Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Went to the range today with my Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP

Old 09-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Went to the range today with my Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP

Earlier this morning while everyone was in church, I went to the local indoor shooting range north of Richmond, VA nextdoor to Bass Pro Shop along I-95. It's called Winding Brook Indoor Range.
https://wbisr.com/

What an incredible place! They honored my military retiree status, and even an expired DCJS armed security card. Total range cost: $15 bucks!

I shot regular, common, 230gr "ball" ammo like I always do and used 1/2 the box on this (best) target. I relaxed, stayed calm, focused on my front sight, and very very gently, slowly squeezed the trigger each time. This is from 15 feet away! I brought along another much smaller 5-bullseye target and finished the box on that target, and wasn't as good on that, as each of the 5 bullseye rings were TINY from 15 feet away!

Old 09-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

If anyone wants that homemade target that I created on an 8½ x 11 computer paper, just right click and choose "save image as..." and you'll have a copy of your own!

Old 09-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

For all you fellow handgun owners, there is just something special about the famous, legendary, 1911-A1 .45 ACP.... It is the only handgun that I am highly familiar with (going back to my USCG bootcamp days in the 70's) and it is the only handgun that I ( *ME* of all people!) can completely break down, reassemble, and have it fully functional in a matter of minutes.

Anyone else a huge fan of the classic 1911-A1 .45 ACP?

Old 09-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the GI series. I LOVE that gun. Its so much more fun to shoot that the 9mm I had.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

1911 fan since I could hold one. That's getting to be a lot of years now. It's what I carry most of the time. Or some version of it like the Colt Defender or Commander. Of course I can't rule out my Beretta's or some of the old wheel guns the old man left me but there's just something about the balance and feel of the old standard 1911. If you want to give a really nice carry pistol a try, try out the Defender in 9mm. Still a little heavy in comparison to other pistols in it's class but it shoots and feels really nice. It's slim 1911 profile really lends well to concealment and with the right holster it really doesn't weigh you down all that much.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same here... I've shot Glock, S&W, Ruger, and cheap Taurus snubnose revolvers when at the range with buddies of mine. But there is just something magical with the legendary 1911. The feel of it, the overall design, and especially the incredible trigger. It's no wonder that after 107 years, it is still going strong with no signs of dying out anytime soon!
Old 09-13-2018, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

come on classic 1911 don't have sights like these or adjustable triggers or???LOL just saying !~

but I like all 1911's own a bunch of them ion many forms including some original Rem UMC, to one I had fully redone in a modern version of a full build all the bells and whistles!( was all booger ed up already, so a great platform to do it to without ruining anything collectible)

and your's seems to shoot very well so congrats to you ona fine one there!
Old 09-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... The thing that makes mine sort of "one of a kind" is the checkered USCG grips that I had made by a guy up in NH. He recently switches business practices and went large scale, making tables, furniture, cabinets, dressers, etc... and sold off his small scale CNC machine stuff and fine router equipment for handgun grips.

I have probably about 750 rounds maybe more (I lost count), and still not one hiccup, snafu, FTF, FTE, etc... out of my inexpensive ($430 bucks) 1911-A1 that I bought from Bud's Gun Shop in Kentucky a few years ago. Rock Island Armory, aka Armscor in the Philippines, makes one heck of a 1911 for the money!

Last edited by ButchA; 09-13-2018 at 06:05 PM. Reason: fixed a typo...