Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
remington iss >

remington iss

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington iss

Old 02-02-2002, 10:40 PM

Default remington iss

Ok , i am sure there are gun smiths on here. the new remington 700's have the iss on them. what i want to know is if i buy one , can i buy a new bolt plug and change it out. in other word remove the iss . i saw one on gunbroker and they advertised that the iss had been removed. what do you have to change? i dont care to read people say it's an added safety feature . i think it looks stupid and i want my guns to look as appealing as how good it shoots. i realize remington is trying appease wolves ..i mean lawyers. but we buy there guns. if anybody has done it let me know thanks.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:21 PM

Default RE: remington iss

well i guess nobody else has any thoughts on the iss. i think it looks stupid. i love remington bolt action rifles and the safety on them was ok. i saw a model seven in 7mm rem short action with a muzzle brake fac . installed. i want one but i am wondering if anybody else has removed the iss. i want to do this. it probably sounds stupid but i am picky about my guns and how they look. i have guns i have had and hunted with for 20 years and they look like new. my wife says if i took care of her like i do the guns she would be the happiest woman on the earth. oh well someday i'm going to do it .
Old 09-27-2004, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: remington iss

Soark..I just bought the replacement for the ISS from Brownells and am amazed in the differences between both systems. It is a Remington replacement part and costs 45 dollars. If you have problems finding it on their site PM me and I'll give you the part number. I purchased the SS model LA. What is weird is the fact the ISS firing pin is much shorter then the regular firing pin and the spring on the ISS is all bunched up while the traditional firing pin spring is not. Seems like the firing pin fall is faster and locktime is faster with the non ISS but I cannot tell exactly how much more since I don't have equipment to measure it.