Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ideal Rifle for Petite Elk Hunter >

Ideal Rifle for Petite Elk Hunter

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ideal Rifle for Petite Elk Hunter

Old 03-29-2018, 10:59 AM
Spike

Default Ideal Rifle for Petite Elk Hunter

I'm a 5' 1" petite woman looking for my first hunting rifle for my elk hunt this fall in the mountains of Colorado and welcome advice and input on best models and calibers to consider.

I'd like to invest in one durable, well-fitting rifle for all my hunting - currently elk, and eventually also caribou, bighorn sheep, black bear and moose in the future. I'd like this one rifle to become like a glove for me and to be well-trained with it. Although I'm working on building my upper body strength in preparation for the season, lighter weight models are preferable. I don't care what my rifle looks like aesthetically. I think I could spend up to $1k, possibly a little bit more if it's really worth it. I'm looking for a rifle that can function in the elements over many decades and uses affordable, effective ammunition that I can likely find if I fly into a semi-rural region for hunting. I'm also left-eye-dominant and shoot lefty on RH rifles, so any input about if I should get a lefty would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 03-29-2018, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

What caliber rifle have you already fired? Did the recoil bother you? You can have a rifle fitted to you by a competent gunsmith. Without knowing more about you it is hard to give you a recommendation.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife is not much bigger than you and her favorite rifle for larger game such as elk is a Remington 700 Stainless Mountain Rifle chambered in 270 Winchester. I put a shortened stock on her rifle and a Leupold 3.5 x10 scope on top. It is light weight, has manageable recoil, is very effective on game, and fits her. She shoots it well and has taken a few elk cleanly with it.

A common cartridge such as the 270 makes finding ammunition very easy nearly anywhere on earth, and it is often priced better than ammunition for less common cartridges. Something similar would be a good starting point for your search for the perfect rifle for you.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Look at the weatherby Camilla....I haven't shot one, but I've handled one. Really good looking rifle.

I'd get one in .308 since you've got some heavy game on your list.

Go try to find one and see how it fits you.

-jake
Old 03-30-2018, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

my wifes only 5'3" and she likes a ruger #1 light weight sporter, chambered in 270 win

with this scope ,Nikon PROSTAFF 7 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 5-20X 50m
shes used the rifle for over 30 years,
and the scopes only a few years old, the Leopold 2x7x was replaced, when she damaged it.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-30-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a cousin whose wife is about the size of the OP. She uses a 7mm-08 and has tipped over several elk in CO including a really nice 5x5. I don't know of any of the elk she has shot that needed a second bullet. But she also lives in elk country, has the entire season to hunt and can be patient in waiting for the right shot angle.

Another good cartridge to consider that many people forget about is the 6.5x55 Swedish. Great round, low recoil and performs great on game. You can get good lightweight rifles in either chambering. I'd suggest you go to a shop with a big selection (Cabelas etc...) and handle as many different brands and styles that you can and choose what feels good for you. The Ruger compacts may be just the ticket.

Last edited by flags; 03-30-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good option might be a used synthetic-stocked Kimber 84M in 7mm-08 or .308. They are smaller and lighter than most rifles, and handle wonderfully. I've seen them for as low as around $800 (including on Gunbroker), which may leave you plenty left over to spend on optics.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Problem with lighter rifles is they have a tendency to have more felt recoil than a heavier rifle of the same caliber. The OP has not answered the questions posted to try to gauge her experience.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Agree with OT, that's an important question.

My wife shoots a .270 with no problem. My sister has used a .30-06 since she was 15. And has shot rifles up to .300 RUM and .45-70s. Also she's shot my 10ga, although I don't think she enjoyed it.

Experience and rifle fit go a long way. Recoil may not be an issue for some, and for some it may be the primary concern.

-Jake
Old 03-30-2018, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

I would maybe lean toward the 280 over the 270 for a better bullet selection. Recoil is basically the same and both are fairly mild that way. OT is right though to know what she can or can not handle recoil ways. I just saw an add for the Weatherby Camila supposed to be designed for women looks like a good bet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.