Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington stock desing question. >

Remington stock desing question.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington stock desing question.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Remington stock desing question.

I like my Remington rifles except for one issue. Has anyone else nticed that when shooting them off the bench thatthe trigger guard hits your knuckles. To me it has to do with the straightness of the stock and lack of pronounced pistol grip. This issue is only with harder kicking rifles. I have shot other guns with what look to be similar designed stocks with no issue. Has anyone else noticed this too or is it just me. If you have what was your cure or did you buy another stock?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can buy a devise that attaches to the back of the trigger guard to take care of that problem. As for me, I like straight stocks, all my sxs shotguns are straight stocks and so is my favorite rifle.

https://connecticutshotgun.com/produ...trigger-guard/

https://www.hastingsdistribution.com...ct_detail&p=50

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-13-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I been shooting rem stocked and action guns for a LONG time, and never once had that happen to me, I am guessing its more about your shooting form than the stock design
they sell a huge amount of aftermarket stocks for rem rifles, most are pretty close to same design, some are not

but I again think its your form when shooting that is causing you this issue
a new stock can fix things too, but form sounds like the main cause here for you!
maybe have someone video you when your shooting to see what all is happening, be surprised how that can help with form issue's
Old 03-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

I have two Rem 700 rifles and I have never encountered your problem, however neither of my rifles have the unaltered factory stocks on them.

I re-stocked my .375 RUM with a laminated stock that has a longer length of pull and is more of the Weatherby design.

I still have the Rem plastic stock on my 7 mm Rem mag, but I replaced the factory recoil pad with a 1/2" spacer and a 1" Limbsaver pad.

As with all of my rifles, I work up loads and sight-in my rifles off a bench, but then I do a lot of practice, especially at the 300 and 430 yard gongs, from a prone position.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Now that you guys have mentioned form it could be that. Not so much form but at five foot three most guns are long for me. I have cut off a few stocks but hate to do that as most people are a lot taller and resale value is lost if cut off. However it is the Rems not my Sako's or other rifles where this happens. Is the Remington stock just a shade longer than other factory stocks.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

the issue might be the distance from the grip to the trigger, and trimming the end of the stock off WON"T change this for you
I sold guns for yrs(had a gun shop) and that was always a big issue with so called YOUTH guns, they would trim butt pad area of stock to make things shorter, yet smaller hands and fingers still struggled to get a GOOD grip and trigger placement
the GOOD news IF your wiling to look is they sell a TON of stocks for a REM 700 action, and there should be many that have different grips closer to the trigger for you, for your smaller frame and hands

there are always TONS of used stocks too for sale, as SO many guys BUY a gun and BUILD off the actions, and toss the OEM stocks, or just upgrade
check out custom rifle builders web sites, MANY sell these take off stocks, fairly cheap, and MANY custom rifle makers KNOW what stocks might have different distances from trigger to grip, so you can also ask them about that when looking for take off stock IF you wish to mod a used stock rather than ruin your's

also, maybe measure the distance on your rifles that fit you better and see how far off the REM is to them
Old 03-16-2018, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I occasionally get slapped by the trigger guard on factory stocks. Mine is a wrist mobility problem - too many years of riding bulls has left me with little ulnar deviation, so my fingers usually lose contact with straighter gripped stocks, and my index finger just hangs out in space. On video, it sure looks like my finger is the part flying into the back of the trigger guard, rather than the other way around. It’s just a matter of discipline for me to remember to keep my fingers in tight to the stock, instead of letting my hand float.

Or better still, my solution is indeed changing to stocks with better fitting grip angles so my fingers all find happy homes, snug against the stock.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 03-18-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like more of a vertical pistol grip, like the Micky A3, A5 etc.
RR
Old 03-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

That is what iI was thinking something like a thumb hole design. Also maybe the less distance between the pistol grip and trigger guard might help.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wild bill g
That is what iI was thinking something like a thumb hole design. Also maybe the less distance between the pistol grip and trigger guard might help.
Boyds makes a decent not expensive laminated sporter thumbhole however it must be bedded or prone to split.
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.