Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rifled Shotgun Choke Tube >

Rifled Shotgun Choke Tube

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled Shotgun Choke Tube

Old 08-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rifled Shotgun Choke Tube

Are these necessary for the short distance a not sighted or scoped 12 gauge is used for? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Spike

I tried one many years ago and finally went to a fully rifled barrel for the shotgun. Even with the better sabot ammunition the shots from the tube were all over. The rifled barrel got rid of fliers and was very accurate to well past 100 yards. That was only a dream with the rifled choke tube.

A scoped shotgun with a smooth bore can get groups down to the 5-6" size if a guy does the range time with several different ammunition makers. I scoped a smooth 870 and shot Brenneke 1 3/8 ounce magnum 2 3/4" slugs that got down to 4"/100 yds for a few years before going to fully rifled so there are accurate loads out there.

I shot sidelocks during this period too and got a nice Winchester .45 bolt in-line about the time I got the fully rifled barrel and began more and more to take the Winnie hunting and leaving the shotgun to home. Now all I ever take to the field is an in-line. I'll bet its been over 20 years since I have needed a second shot on deer or any other big game.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many thanks ctom. I use a 30-06 or a 50 inline for deer hunting. I bought a BPS awhile back to leave to a grandchild. I rounded up the choke tubes for it and have the chance to get the Browning rifled tube. I think I will let it pass.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 PM
Spike

I used the Carlson rifled choke tube in my Win 1200 28" vr barrel and was able to get 3" groups out to 75 yds, 100yds was stretched out slightly opening up to around 5".
This was using Winchester 2.75" 1oz slugs.
I installed Williams Fire sights that clamp on to the vent rib. The RCT gave a slight advantage over the IC choke tube I was using.
I've since switched to a Rem 870 Sure Shot with rifled cantilever barrel and shoot Slugs r US SPW's.
The Rem Sure Shot came with a turkey barrel and turkey choke, I had a Rem rct for it but haven't needed to use it or try it out since I have the fully rifled barrel.

Last edited by Sgt Recoil; 09-13-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

3" rifled tube in my wifes browning BPS, baseball sized groups at 100 yrds. (Scoped)