Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Savage 220 Question >

Savage 220 Question

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage 220 Question

Old 06-22-2017, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Savage 220 Question

I have been shooting a Savage 220 for about 3 year's now and I have shot two deer and one Coyote with the gun and I currently use Remington 2 3/4 Copper Solids and I never get a blood trail perfect shot behind the shoulder still no blood.

I shot a 8 pointer 124lbs at 18 yards and the bulled never came out the backside I found it mushroomed in the hide I love a 20GA for the Accuracy but I never get a blood trail and it kinda freaks me out especially since my shot placement is great.

I shot a Doe at 25 yards and it dropped her but there was no blood anywhere to be found even once I rolled here over yes the deer and dying but not every deer will die within sight and I want a good blood trail my 12GA use to leave and dump tank of blood.

I love a 20GA sweet gun but I've thought about going back to a 12GA so I can get a blood trail again.

I use to use a 12GA and never had a blood trail issue.

Any help would be great I want to to switch ammo which ammo will give me a blood trail I've looked up Lightfield or Winchester.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy several different brand and shoot them at the range. Use the one that groups the best in your Savage.

PS That Savage or the 220 is a very accurate slug rifle. 20 guage slugs have never had any issue with killing a deer or making a pass through from my experience.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I were you I would change slugs. You say you are shooting solids so you probably are getting no expansion. What did the slug look like that you found under the hide? It is also hard to believe a slug would not pass through at such short range, especially a solid. Also if you are hitting in the lungs and getting no blood something is wrong with the performance of that round. I have shot a lot of deer that had a body cavity full of blood but I also had a very good blood trail. Ditch the solids and go for an expanding slug. Look for a new slug, ask people who are using 20 ga slugs what they are using and the results they are getting, buy some and do some expansion and penetration tests. I have never hunted with the newer saboted slugs so I can't recommend a specific brand and type.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-22-2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I shoot a 20ga 870 with 2 3/4 inch Remington buck hammers(no Longer made) ammo. So glad I bought what I hope is a life time supply.
First thing I would do if I like the copper solids is switch to the 3 inch variety and see how they do.
Second thing if they didn't do what I wanted I would go to A federal power shock slug like several of my friends use.

I have been playing around with reloads also and am having some good groups that penetrate several 1 1/2 inches blocks of wood and news papers doubled up and wet.
Cooking your own is simply your own creation and more fun to shoot.
Have fun while you're at it!
That Lee bullet mold
you can get at $18 from Midsouth shooters.
The wads from BPI known as Trap Commander,
the nitro cards from Circle Fly at half the cost,

Al
Old 06-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

My little sister has been using an 870 with a 20 gauge slug barrel for some number of years now. Her bullet of choice was the Remington AccuTip. If she pulled the trigger, there was a dead deer on the other end. She has now caught the muzzleloader bug and her 870 is collecting dust. Has approximately 50 yards more range to play with than her slug gun. I have not seen a report yet that said an AccuTip wasn't accurate out of a Savage slug gun and they seem to drop deer quite well. Around here that 8 point you shot would have been yearling size. The deer in this state have some pretty beefy bodies and they don't drop that easily. So if a bullet performs well on deer around here, you can pretty much rest assured they will perform well on deer in any other part of the country.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

I've used the SST in mine with good results. I got a decent blood trail the deer only went and average 30 yards . It might be worth a try for you
Old 06-22-2017, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stop!!! Get yourself Remington Accutips 3", sight in at 4" high at 50 yards, at 200 yards you will be just under 1" below center. Been shooting the 220 for 7 years, with this ammo and sight in. At 100 yards my group is 3/4", at 200 yards my groups is 1.5".
Old 06-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightfields was a great slug years ago, but Accutips have change the game.....

20ga use 3"
12ga use 2-3/4"
Old 06-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

One word.... or maybe a few.... Rem. Accu Tips. They mushroom out very very well. And everything I've shot with them has dropped very quickly. They shoot better than some rifles out of my MOssber 695. Give them a try, I think you'll be happy. No reason to go away from the 20G
-Jake
Old 06-24-2017, 01:42 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Guy's,

Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.

I live in Northern Virginia and I hunt Quantico Marine Base so a good buck normally only dressed out at around 140's to 120's I know other states have much bigger bodies.

We have the case of bigger racks but smaller bodies...Lol

I will checkout the Remington Accutips 3" my uncle has the same gun and that's what he shoots so I will check them out.

I use to use the Winchester Dual Bond 2 3/4 out of my 12GA and it left massive blood trails has anyone used the 20GA Dual Bond with good results ?...I like how they expand and have the dagger tips once they mushroom out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.