Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Am I crazy? .338 Win Mag >

Am I crazy? .338 Win Mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Am I crazy? .338 Win Mag

Old 05-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default Am I crazy? .338 Win Mag

I know a guy with two .338 win mags for sale. One is an older Ruger 77 and one is a Winchester 70 XTR "Sporter magnum" he believes he bought new in the mid 80s. Both are in really nice shape. I kinda have an itch to buy one of these. I don't "need" it. Just something to play with I suppose and take out a few times each season. Thoughts between these two rifles? They're both really clean.

If I buy them I'll need some load suggestions as well. This will primarily be just something to play with that I'll take out occasionally in PA for whitetail or bear. It won't be my primary deer rifle though. Although I would probably take it out west in the future. I have mule deer and elk preference points building so eventually I'll get out there.

-Jake
Old 05-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's the prices on them? Either one could be a good rifle depending on the price.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

We haven't discussed price. I honestly think I could get either for around $500. But I'll have to discuss it with him. What do you think would be a good price on either? Or should I just man up, buy both and sell one lol?
-Jake
Old 05-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
We haven't discussed price. I honestly think I could get either for around $500. But I'll have to discuss it with him. What do you think would be a good price on either? Or should I just man up, buy both and sell one lol?
-Jake
I'd say $500 would be fair but not really a "smokin" deal unless you really want one...
Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you enjoy getting your teeth knocked out, go with the Winchester 70 XTR. My granddad has one in .30-06, and even that cartridge is a nightmare with the factory plastic(?) buttplate. I can only imagine what it's like in a .338WM.
He's since put a LimbSaver on it, which made a world of a difference, as you can imagine. Still, there's something about the gun's balance that's just a bit off to me.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

I've never shot either of those guns but own two 338's for elk hunting. I highly recommend that caliber for elk.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

About how heavy are your .338's, Cal? With and without scope?
Old 05-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Both are Browning BAR's. The newer one has the BOSS system and was made in the US. I believe it's 8 pounds 3 oz without the scope. The older one was made in Belgium and weighs around 7.5 pounds, give or take without the scope. With scopes and mounts, probably add another pound, give or take. Neither of them seems to be too heavy for me to carry and the recoil is manageable.

I can see selling the newer Browning with the BOSS unit but would never sell the one made in Belgium.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I've never shot either of those guns but own two 338's for elk hunting. I highly recommend that caliber for elk.
That's kinda my justification for buying one. Knowing I'll eventually go for elk in colorado and wyoming. I wouldn't feel undergunned with the '06 but, in my mind at least, the .338 win mag is the "classic" elk choice. What load do you use for Elk Cal?

-Jake
Old 05-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

I don't reload currently and couldn't justify it with this caliber as I only shoot a box or so of bullets each year. I use Federal's 250 grain Nosler Partition bullet. I can vouch for it on elk and moose. It's overkill on a black bear but probably just right for a brown bear if you go to Alaska some day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.