Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Mossberg 500 Super Bantam >

Mossberg 500 Super Bantam

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg 500 Super Bantam

Old 05-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Spike

Default Mossberg 500 Super Bantam

Hi Everyone
I’m brand new to shooting and am looking at my first gun and was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I’m looking at getting a small shotgun to start out with (preferably 20 guage). I intend to start off just using it for target practice but I would like to eventually use it to do some turkey hunting. I’ve been looking around and came across a Mossberg Super Bantam 500 which I thought was pretty cool as it comes with extra barrels for different applications (turkey, waterfowl, deer) and seems to be kinda of an all in one type of deal. After looking at it in the store I went home and researched it online and found out that it is a “youth” gun. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this gun and if it is in fact a “youth” gun or can be used by adults? Ive read a couple of reviews that say it can be used for people of small stature (I’m 5’9” 165lbs) but I would hate to buy it only to find out that I want to upgrade sooner than later. Like I said at the start of may post I am a complete “newb” to shooting and think that this will cover my needs for a while but I don’t want to be the guy using a kids gun Lol. If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great. I’m looking for a shotgun (preferably 20 guage as I’m a liitle worried about starting off with a 12 guage) that I can use for Turkey Hunting. As far as price goes I don’t want to spend to much as it is my first gun. Like I was saying preferably I would like to go with the Mossberg 500 Super Bantam because of the multiple barrels so if anyone has had any experience with this particular gun any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Again!
Old 05-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it is a youth gun the stock will be too short for most adults, the designation "youth model" means it is made to fit young people. Unless you are extremely small it would be foolish to buy a youth model shotgun, unless you like punching yourself in the nose when you shoot. There are any number of adult 20 Gage shotguns on the market. I suggest you go to some gun shops, not the big box stores but the hometown type shops where people aren't selling guns on Monday and refrigerators on Tuesday and know what they are talking about when you ask a question about a firearm, and handle many different brands and styles of 20 Gage shotguns. Additionally, unless you are of very small stature you could probably use a 12 Gage without any problems unless you are recoil shy. If you know anyone who is reasonably savvy on matters of guns I recommend you talk to them and perhaps go shoot some shotguns before you buy one without any knowledge at all.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with what OT has said 100%. If you develop a relationship with a local gun shop you will be way ahead of the curve. You may pay slightly more for the product but the information and service down the road will be worth it. Good luck with the purchase.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

The bantam has a 12 inch LOP for a youth, but does adjust as the youth grows to a 13 inch LOP.

The gold Standard is taking the measurement from elbow to trigger finger to find your LOP. But I find this misleading simply because it doesn't take thick winter clothing into the equation.
Chances are you will not find a perfect fit since there is standard youth LOP stocks and same for adults. With the adult you can always have or cut it down your self to fit so I would look for an adult sized shot gun if your a adult that has stopped growing.

Also don't be letting people talk you into buying a 12ga if your an adult, a 20ga is a fine shot gun for any age old enough to use a shot gun. With todays screw in chokes and different shot shells they will do about any thing you want.

Also keep in mind Multa barrel shot guns are usually a barrel for shooting shot and a second barrel for shooting slugs. If all you want to do is shoot shot then a barrel with screw in chokes is desirable to have. A selection of chokes from a full for duck and goose hunting longer pheasant shots, down to a open choke like skeet or imp cylinder for closer game like rabbits and grouse.

My self I would spend a bit more at a gun shop that will try to fit the shot gun to your stature. I also feel money spent on a Remington 870 well spent. You will get that extra spent back when and if you sell it.
I would chose the 26 inch rifled barrel model unless your going to deer hunt in a blind or thick woods.

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/p...-express-combo

Al