Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Guns
Buying a Rifle...Need some feedback >

Buying a Rifle...Need some feedback

Community
Guns Buy, sell, or trade your guns and gun accessories here.

Buying a Rifle...Need some feedback

Old 04-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Buying a Rifle...Need some feedback

I bought a rifle yesterday at a somewhat big retailer. They did not have the rifle in stock but they did have it on their website so they ordered it and charged my card. They did not do a background check or anything. So is there any law regarding buying a rifle or a firearm that after so many days it is yours? I heard from a few people after 3 days it would be legally mine since I paid for it (federal law?). I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this? I am not worried about the background check being failed.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't say for sure, but normally your card is not charged until you take delivery, then they will run the background check before you take possession. Taking your credit card number is kind of like a deposit to order the gun.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
I bought a rifle yesterday at a somewhat big retailer. They did not have the rifle in stock but they did have it on their website so they ordered it and charged my card. They did not do a background check or anything. So is there any law regarding buying a rifle or a firearm that after so many days it is yours? I heard from a few people after 3 days it would be legally mine since I paid for it (federal law?). I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this? I am not worried about the background check being failed.
I'm assuming you'll have to go pick it up and fill out a form with your drivers license and answer the questions on the federal form. you can look up the form on line.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes they can charge your card in advance of you getting the rifle, what would normally happen IF you failed the background check, they would refund you either ALL or JUST some of the money, and charge you for the check!
rifle then would be put into there inventory, as the gun is NOT yours till its logged out of there records to you at time of the paperwork being approved!
all you did was basically pay in advance for the gun, and that assures them its SOLD, and there not stocking a gun they didn';t plan to.
like I said, if you fail, they can charge you a stocking fee or likes, and for the check!

I WAS a gun dealer(had business and FFL and a Class III dealer as well, and an explosive's lic) for many yrs too, so, unless something I don't know about changed, this is what will happen!
they DON"T have to charge you either for anything, but most shops will due to they now have a gun they didn't maybe want to sit on till it sells?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Spike

I bought a shotgun online though gander mountain, waited about 4 days until it arrived, then had to fill the paper work passed the instant check, then was able to pick up my gun after the 24hr waiting period, live in IL. If, for some reason I wasn't by able to pass the check, they would have refunded me in full.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
I have not heard of a law guaranteeing you ownership. You will do the background check when you go to pick it up. If everything checks out you will receive that gun.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

You could ask the gun store what the rest of their process is. Since the gun is ordered, they probably want to wait for it to arrive in inventory before starting any FFL paperwork. usually (at least in my state, CA), there is a window of time in which you have to pick up your gun or start paperwork again. They might want to be sure the gun won't be back-ordered, delayed, etc. so they don't have you need to fill out paperwork twice.