Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
sighting in iron sites >

sighting in iron sites

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sighting in iron sites

Old 04-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default sighting in iron sites

I recently purchased a ruger sp100 and I haven't shot iron sites in sometime. Should I site in so the post site blocks out my point of impact or so the point of impact is just above the post?
Old 04-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer a 6 o'clock hold on a target. It's easier to see what you're shooting at. Assuming a round bullseye target, it should be easier to have a consistant point of aim to have " a pumpkin on a post". However you do it, do it consistantly.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I still shoot open sights or peep sights the way I was taught when I was a kid and it has never let me down. If shooting at a target I sit the bullseye right on top of the front sight, we used to call that a pumpkin sitting on a fence post. If shooting at game I shoot point of ail, point of impact.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
I recently purchased a ruger sp100 and I haven't shot iron sites in sometime. Should I site in so the post site blocks out my point of impact or so the point of impact is just above the post?
I do both it depends on distance and how well my sight is that day in the end it doesn't matter just get the ball in the x
Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

the line of sight in the center of the bullseye.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Pumpkin on the post for me on the target range but when hunting I put the ball on the game but am aware my POI might be a bit higher depending on range. When hunting with open sights I limit my shots to 100 yds and closer on a deer sized animal. If at the far end of my range the pumpkin on the post works better.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I still shoot open sights or peep sights the way I was taught when I was a kid and it has never let me down. If shooting at a target I sit the bullseye right on top of the front sight, we used to call that a pumpkin sitting on a fence post. If shooting at game I shoot point of ail, point of impact.
This is how I was taught as well. My rifles that have open sights are all set to 50 yards and wear scopes with detachable rings. That way if I have a scope fail I can still hunt. For my rifles that don't have open sights I still have the scopes in detachable rings and take another pre-sighted in scope with me so if it fails I'm still in business.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

All shoot my rifles that are not scoped with the target just over the post. It helps to see the target with a front sight that is several MOA. With handguns I prefer holding the front sight over the target. I will lose accuracy but it feels natural and allows me to shoot faster on target.

I am shooting rifles for precision, target shooting and hunting. My hanguns are for close range such as self defense or finishing a wounded animal that may run away or towards me so a follow up shot may be required. Now if I was hunting primarily with a handgun I would shoot pumkin on the post to get the most out of that first shot.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
This is how I was taught as well. My rifles that have open sights are all set to 50 yards and wear scopes with detachable rings. That way if I have a scope fail I can still hunt. For my rifles that don't have open sights I still have the scopes in detachable rings and take another pre-sighted in scope with me so if it fails I'm still in business.

Usually I just purchase quality scopes to begin with that don't fail.
...Deleted by CalHunter...
Good american made products will get you where you need to go.

Last edited by CalHunter; 04-20-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Rules 2, 8 & 12--Warning # 2.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

furgeson, I suspect your tenure will be short by the two posts of yours I have read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.