Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning opinion ? >

Browning opinion ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning opinion ?

Old 10-27-2003, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Browning opinion ?

I have a chance to buy a Browning Medallion, New In Box, at less than wholesale.
I have never owned a Browning.
Does anyone have an opinion on these firearms.
If it is as good as it looks, I can' t go wrong.
It' s in .375H&H which will fit nicely with the other calibers I have.
Thanks for any help.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Browning opinion ?

Go for it, I have an Abolt SS Stalker in a 270 win and it shoots very nicely. Really can' t find a bad thing to say about browning abolts and haven' t heard many complaints either. Price is right and you need a new addition, so whats to consider.

Have fun with your new family member[8D]
Old 10-28-2003, 03:41 AM

go for it ! !

i own a browning medallion chambered in 30-06sprg. fine rifle. bolt is slick as sot and i juts get over 1" at 100yds.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice shooting gun out of the box, reliable and great for the 2 box of cartridges a year hunter but has no other redeeming values IMHO...Don' t like the fact that the bolt is non serviceable except by a Gunsmith or Browning...do not like the safety and do not like the feel of the action specifically the 60 degree bolt lift.. Overpriced... People laugh at the Remington extractor but the one on the Abolt is a joke... Did not like having to put powdered graphite between the stock and action when taking gun apart(Stainless Stalker) pretty Expensive throwaway guns and not even remotely close to the quality stuff that Browning used to produce.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:55 PM

pretty Expensive throwaway guns
I can' t tell if you' re being sarcastic or not.

The ONLY rifle I' ll ever own other than a Browning is the Tikka.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Danny45...I have owned three of them ...06 Medallion...270 hunter-300 wsm stainless stalker and shoot my buddies 7 rem mag Hunter when I visit him...I don' t like the design details of the gun period. It has more negatives than positives in my book let me list them out.

negatives:

Magazine clip assembly limits OAL you can set cartridges to if your a handloader
Trigger and material its made of
exposed springs in the trigger assembly
Cheap wood stocks that are stained to look better
Floppy synthetic stocks
Excessive gap for the factory free floating which accumulates debris
Safety when using gloves
Extractor
Non field strippable bolt..pay a gunsmith or browning to strip it and clean it
Find a gunsmith that knows how to work on the gun or try to customize it..ie barrels, triggers etc

Positives:

Great shooting out of the box rifle..only one i owned did not shoot (06 medallion)
Very Good stock design

Old 10-29-2003, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Well I just bought my first Browning this year and I have to say now I am a proud owner of a Browning,and love it.It is in the 270 wsm and believe me it will drive tacks.I just checked it out today for a hunting trip next week and got a .345 in @100 yds.I don' t shoot much at 300 yds but one day I got a 1.95 and one day I got a 1.25.I do reload,and the only thing I did was to adjust the trigger down to 2 lbs.
Would I buy another one?? you bet
Old 10-30-2003, 02:01 PM
bigcountry

All true Oldelkhunter. but you have to admit, its positives really make them shine.

Positives:
Fit and finish
True freefloated out of box
Usually very accurate
3 lugs

But your right, I don' t know why they won' t take away that crappy safety. About the worst in the business. And the bolt is overcomplecated. And every bolt shouldhave a sako type extractor if not CRF.

But thru all that, mine looks great and shoots so well. But I have a hard time having expensive smith work done. Because as you say, " throwaway" . You was a little brash about it, but no used in pulling punches.

Old 10-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like I said they are great shooting rifles and according to a gunsmith aquaintance who used to work for Browning(or so he says) they never came back for warranty work. Its just a little different for my tastes... they are interesting though accuracywise and they fit ones shoulder very well and weigh about the right weight for me...the other stuff gives me fits though
Old 10-30-2003, 04:33 PM

i like tang safties..

Quick Reply: Browning opinion ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.