Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Caldwell Lead Sled and accuracy >

Caldwell Lead Sled and accuracy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caldwell Lead Sled and accuracy

Old 03-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default Caldwell Lead Sled and accuracy

After my less than stellar range session with my 270 last time, I began to wonder whether the Lead Sled I normally use is conducive to accurate shooting. Yes, I've made some good groups off it before, but there have been times where either my dad or I have shot rifles with less than stellar accuracy for reasons we couldn't quite explain.

For those of you who have used different rests before, what's your opinion of Lead Sleds? Do you think I'd be better off using my C&J pistol rest with a rear sandbag?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd use one to get on paper and approximate, then I'd want a good 3 shot group off my shoulder to be confident/certain.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never used one and don't ever intend to. IMHO good sand bags front and rear and shooting off the shoulder is the only way to go and then practice various hunting positions after you know the rifle is putting them where it's supposed to.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good shooting form (including trigger control & follow through) + a good front rest.

A rear rest is for fine tuning - at that point you better be shooting MOA or under (off of a bench anyway).

IMO a Lead Sled is for those who can't handle the recoil from larger calibers (I guess).
Old 03-22-2017, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been given one lead sled as a gift, then ended up buying another as part of a munitions development testing project, I have since given both of them away. Teats on a boar, in my opinion.

Good rear bag, good front rest and proper technique, you'll outshoot a lead sled.

Also, mind you, your MV and POI will be different when shooting from a firing fixture vs. shooting manually. You'll even see MV and POI shift for variance in position, and variance between free recoil vs. shouldered firing.

Lead Sleds are for dudes who never actually shoot their rifle, recognize their technique is weak, and have more dollars than sense.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Lead Sled. It's a great tool for initial sight-in, and load development. It gives you a consistent platform, so you can take out the human factor when you compare one load to another. Its especially good for the aforementioned tasks, If you're working with a cartridge that has a lot of recoil. If you put some weight on it, it really can help keep you from developing a bad flinch. Most people can handle a few shots with something like a .300 Win Mag, but it does get old pretty quick when you're shooting a bunch of groups to get it dialed in. That said, a rest doesn't guarantee perfect accuracy every time - you still have to do some of the work yourself. I've found it's still quite easy to pull a shot, even while using the rest.

Having owned one for several years, I would say that the Lead Sled is a tool. Its very useful for the tasks I mentioned. However, it can also be a crutch. When I first started using it, I used it for everything. Unfortunately, as others have suggested, shooting from the Lead Sled does not represent real-world shooting situations and it will not help you shoot better in any way. Once I realized that I was using it as a crutch, I started making it a point to only use it specifically for sight-in and load development. Any other target practice I do, I make it a point to use whatever I have in my truck at the time. Some of my best groups have been made using an ammo can and a rolled-up sweatshirt as a rest. My personal goal for this year is to practice as much as possible from shooting sticks.

For the record, I don't think I have more dollars than sense - but that's only for a lack of dollars. I'm sure that there are a lot of casual shooters who use Lead Sleds (or other complete rifle rests), but they're also the type who will never shoot anywhere except from a bench at the local gun range. I don't think there's anything wrong with people using bench rests like that. They just might be in for a surprise if they ever try shooting without one.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have more sense than I have money, so I make a prototype rifle rest that worked so well I never did make a steel one. It takes me out of the sighting in new scopes and any new loads I work up.

I very rarely hunt with out my Bifur pod and will do testing after the rifle rest sight in with them.
I have a set of golf club shafts for prone, best use I have ever seen for any part of a golf club.

Al