Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
To reblue my colt? >

To reblue my colt?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

To reblue my colt?

Old 02-27-2017, 12:46 PM
Spike

Default To reblue my colt?

I recently purchased a Colt Agent 38 special. The gun was only $200, so I couldn't pass it up. The gun was made in 1974 and has some decent holster wear and some light rust. While in the store an older gentleman told me he was a Colt collector and this was a fair deal, the gun just felt a little tight like it needed a good cleaning. He also mentioned that if I got the gun reblued, it would add to its value. I'll pry keep the gun since it's my first revolver and it's a Colt. Any input?

Last edited by TheDudeAbides; 02-27-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

In my opinion it is up to you if you want the gun looking as new. Re-bluing a gun will take away from collectors value but if you didn't buy it as a collector's piece and you want it professionally re blued, go for it.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

As a collector I can tell you with no uncertainty that the person who told you that was an idiot. Refinishing a firearm in ANY way will take away from it's value. ESPECIALLY a re-bluing job. Even if professionally done you can always tell it's not factory. At least I can on inspection.

In good condition that little pistol is worth from $200-$325 or thereabouts according to my Blue Book values. With Holster wear and light rust (without seeing it) I'd estimate you over paid a bit but not too much. Take it to a good smith that is known for dealing with collectible firearms for a cleaning. He will know how to get the rust off and clean it up and check the timing and such without harming what little value it has.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

At $200, you're in a realm where it's competitive against low cost revolvers, and frankly, since it's a colt, you'll easily sell it to someone who doesn't know what it's worth as a collectors item, but is hunting for a cheap revolver. Old, Colt, and good finish is worth more in that market than old, Colt, and crap finish AND worth more than new rossi or new charter... At least in the minds of new gun buyers who don't realize "restoration" is a bad thing for firearms collectors.

The collectors value largely becomes irrelevant.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 02-27-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

in the collectors view, ANY gun you re blue will LOOSE value, period, to a shooter the value MIGHT go up
so will come down to WHO the next buyer is, a collector will NOT pay more for a gun NOT original, over one that is, its the game!

a shooter or a guy that doesn;t know any better, well then its a different game and your counting on inexperience here and not knowledge of the buyer
and in that case, old saying," a sucker is born ever second" LOL

NOW< the BEST option to KEEP value would be to have COLT re blue the gun(far from cheap option here)
BUT should gun in a 100 yrs become a desired gun, the paper trail of work being done by COLT will add value to it over JUST any smith doing the blueing, as Colt NOW< any ways, offers letter heads on collectible guns with history trails best they can, and again collectors PAY more to have this stuff on paper, NOT bill of receipt from "X" gun smith either
as many times in life, WHO does the work can add or decrease value of things, to a COLLECTOR for sure, and even to the average Joe!
Branding is every where today!

if you ONLY plan to shoot the gun, why not do a better coating on the gun, like a Black Ice if you want blue look, or cerakote it, more durable than blue, and might even be cheaper than a good blueing job?

won't add any value to it on you, and to a collector, it will DE value it

but will be a great gun to carry and use from here out!