Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rifles and hotel rooms >

Rifles and hotel rooms

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifles and hotel rooms

Old 01-29-2017, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
The hardest part is taking a cross country truck hunting trip. When we go to Colorado elk hunting there are normally 3 of us and we have a truck cap all loaded with guns and gear. There is no hiding what we have packed since the cap has windows. The trip takes 3 days so that includes 2 nights in motels...normally somewhere along the Ohio/ Indiana border and then the next night in Kansas. We lock the cap but it isn't feasible to remove everything and bring it into the room so we just park at a good name motel under a well lit spot and hope nobody messes with our truck. Never had an issue..knock on wood.
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Secu...riveway+chimes

These are not a PERFECT answer but it's pretty good and it's pretty cheap. I've put one of these in the floor facing up under the steering wheel and carry the reciever/alarm in to the hotel room before. Pretty much zero false alarms and no one is getting in or out of the car with out the alarm inside the hotel room with you going off. You could install the same sensor inside the truck cap over or ON the rear door facing forward toward the cab and it would not be readily seen from outside yet the slightest effort to open the rear doors would trip it as well as any attempt to access by breaking a side window. With it pointed toward the cab I can't see how you would get any false alarms.

Many of them come with TWO sending units so you can also use the extra as a motion alarm INSIDE your hotel room while you are asleep. They have a high and low volume setting on the alarm.

I use them several places at home full time as well as the permanent alarm system. I paint them black for use at home. Set one on the rear motorcycle tire facing down to the tire, set on on an irresistible 5 gallon can of gas. Any ordinary run of the mill thief has got to see if that thing is full soon as they spot it. Plus I've actually got a set just for the drive way.

You can just leave a screw when you set one up and then they are easy to move around any time your needs shift. For instance I had one about 3 feet from a chipmunk hole digging under the garage and had his whole family wiped out in a couple days with out just sitting there all day watching for him to come or go.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:26 PM
Spike

I wouldn't leave anything in a hotel room like your guns. You can always call local law enforcement and see if they have any lockers! ...Edited by Champlin Islander...

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 02-01-2017 at 12:45 AM. Reason: advertisement on open boards should be in classified
Old 01-31-2017, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, police departments all over the country are waiting to store our guns for us. What a bunch of nonsense. If you want to push your product, do it in the classifieds, not where people actually want to help others.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take my weapons with me. Period. I trust no one. The whole mission is contingent on my weapons. They travel in a pelican case whenever possible. I enter the room, they are locked and steel cabled to the bedframe. I eat before I get to the room. Take snackies along JIC.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't stay in motel rooms, so don't have the problem. When I travel the guns are in cases behind the front seat and not visible and if I stop at a restaurant the vehicle is never out of my sight.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ArachNet
I wouldn't leave anything in a hotel room like your guns. You can always call local law enforcement and see if they have any lockers! ...Edited by Champlin Islander...
You might want to check the state's firearm laws before doing that. Typically, a police department would have to have a legal reason to take/accept a person's firearms. In CA, if they police book your weapon for "safekeeping," you have to go through a firearms background check to get your firearm back.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:09 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

I can't trust the flimsy lock on my truck's shell. One trick I do is back up the truck (slowly and carefully!) to a wall or post so a scumbag will have a harder time getting in. I also try to park next to my room (or the front office).