Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
mossberg 835?????? >

mossberg 835??????

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mossberg 835??????

Old 01-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Spike

Default mossberg 835??????

I'm new to the forum here! My question is what all can I shoot out of my mossberg 835 ultra mag? I got the turkey/deer combo that comes with a rifled barrel and a smooth bore barrel that bores out to a 10ga(I beleive?) I know the rifled Barrel is for slugs (sabor slugs not rifled) but i mean for the smooth bored. It has a full choke on it being for turkey and it says lead only, I ordered a improved cylinder choke for it... does this allows me to shoot anything out of it now? What about normal rifled slugs? ( I know that's what the rifled barrel is for, but I didn't know that Sabor slugs are about 15 bucks for 5 of them! Lol)... Buckshot? Double 00 buck? Triple 000??? Steel? Brass?...

I'm new to the whole choke game as my old shotgun didn't have one nor did it even have threads to screw a Choke in. So I just want to know anything I should know about chokes/shot/shot size/my 835 I should know. All comments are appreciated, if you don't know, you can just stop by and say hi, I don't bite... most of the time.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Generally speaking, you want to avoid firing steel shot through full, extra full, or turkey chokes. Cylinder, improved, and modified chokes on the other hand can handle any load you put through them, from lead target loads, steel waterfowl loads, buckshot, or tungsten alloy. Since you have an overbored smoothbore barrel, I would avoid any slugs of any type through it.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:27 AM
Spike

lone wolf thanks for the feedback, i kinda figured being over-bored that the increase back pressure from a slug probably wouldn't be a good thing for it
Old 01-12-2017, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

I was thinking more along the lines of a severe degradation of accuracy due to the slug not getting any grip on an overbore barrel.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
I was thinking more along the lines of a severe degradation of accuracy due to the slug not getting any grip on an overbore barrel.
So you think the over bore would decrease the accuracy even though it's at the very end of the barrel?
Old 01-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Spike

Hey ousting
You can get full chokes that shoot steel. I use Carlson. I shoot extra full for turkey lead only
You can get all other that shoot steel if needed but not all do. I have in of each for my 835's

One with 24" barrel and another with 28" barrel. Love them both

Buck
Old 01-13-2017, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Qsting13
So you think the over bore would decrease the accuracy even though it's at the very end of the barrel?
On an 835, the entire length of the barrel is over-bored, except the choke at the muzzle. The slug would rattle down the tube until it got to the choke. That's why they provide a special slug barrel.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
On an 835, the entire length of the barrel is over-bored, except the choke at the muzzle. The slug would rattle down the tube until it got to the choke. That's why they provide a special slug barrel.
Really? I thought it was just at the end of the barrel
Old 01-13-2017, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

The smooth barrel is made for fine shot, the over bore is to give a better pattern. The rifled barrel is made for saboted slugs. You would be betters served to use the gun the way it was intended to be used. I also suggest you read the owners manual from cover to cover, and be guided by what the manufacturer says.