Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 870 express combo >

Remington 870 express combo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 870 express combo

Old 12-24-2016, 05:11 AM
Spike

Default Remington 870 express combo

hey,
Im thinking of buying the Remington 870 express combo for my first hunting gun. the combo comes with 2 barrels one rifled and one soft bore. my question is, is this a good rifle to hunt with, (deer and waterfowl mainly) or should i be looking into something else? i am also on a budget and the 870 combo is right in my price range. please let me know if you have any suggestions or if you think i should buy something else.

here is the combo I'm thinking of buying.

http://www.basspro.com/Remington-Mod...duct/10217898/

thanks in advance for all the info!
Old 12-24-2016, 05:26 AM
Banned

depends ,I suppose on type of hunting you are doing
.870s are a tried and true gun I have the same in 12 gauge. it is a fine first choice . you just need be aware you are not going to make long distance shots with it(slug barrel).inside 150 yards or so depending on your skill, it is deadly.

if you are going to be shooting further distance then that, you need a rifle.

good luck in your travels and when successful ,or even when your not, don't forget to get us some pics.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no idea of your experience, but I hope you realize that you are buying a shotgun and that just because the shorter barrel is rifled doesn't mean it's a rifle like you mentioned.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I have no idea of your experience, but I hope you realize that you are buying a shotgun and that just because the shorter barrel is rifled doesn't mean it's a rifle like you mentioned.
very good point ,TOP.
I must admit , that thought ,never crossed my mind.
I foolishly assumed someone buying a gun would have a working understanding of it. my bad!
I sometimes forget , how scary some newbies can be.lol.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006

yes topgun i am aware that the rifled barrel does not make my shotgun a rifle lol I am new to hunting not new to firearms. I was only trying to get some advice/input from anyone who has the shotgun and uses it for hunting. how it preforms, if they maybe wished they purchased something else (shotgun wise) stuff like that.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:08 AM
Banned

like I said above, it is a fine shotgun and for the price as good as any ,IMO.

SURE YOU can spend more and get better but I believe it will serve you well for many ,many years.
a plus for owning one is they are a dime a dozen, if you ever do need parts. but I doubt you will.if you take care of it it will not fail you. at least mine never has.
couple of years ago I killed a small buck in the short range season. at about a hundred yards that 12 gauge slug put that deer down like a ton of bricks

Last edited by kidoggy; 12-24-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kidoggy
like I said above, it is a fine shotgun and for the price as good as any ,IMO.

SURE YOU can spend more and get better but I believe it will serve you well for many ,many years.
a plus for owning one is they are a dime a dozen, if you ever do need parts. but I doubt you will.if you take care of it it will not fail you. at least mine never has.
couple of years ago I killed a small buck in the short range season. at about a hundred yards that 12 gauge slug put that deer down like a ton of bricks
awesome thanks a bunch kidoggy i have been reassured i am making the right choice thanks for all the help!!
Old 12-24-2016, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd want a semi auto for the birds, and a savage 220 slug for the deer.

the combo will work, you can always sell off the barrel down the road and pick up a savage 220 for deer etc... or vice versa if you get more into 1 or the other.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

R4emington 870 is a dandy shot gun first hitting the market in 1951, and is still made today so that should tell you some thing right there. I have a 870 slugger 20ga and it is all I desired in a slug gun, It does have a rifled barrel so it shoots great once you find the right slugs to use in it. I found mine likes 2 3/4 inch stuff better than 3 inch stuff and it does kill deer at a good ways off.
You can even up grade the trigger with a trimney kit.
http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/t...t-trigger.aspx

You will never regret this shot gun combo.

My 870.

Al
Old 12-27-2016, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Can't go wrong in the 870... there's a reason they've been around so long.

A note on slug barrels.... in my experience they can be very picky.... You can spend a fortune buy sabots at $15/box trying to find a combo it likes... My suggestion is buy various boxes if/when you see them on sale. FInd what groups best, then use that from there on out... Don't go buy five boxes of the same kind of sabot right away because your gun may not like them... When you find the right load, stock up on those because it seems like buying slugs can be hit and miss on what's in stock and when.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.