Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger m77 predator >

Ruger m77 predator

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger m77 predator

Old 12-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Spike

Default Ruger m77 predator

What do you guys know about this rifle. Seen one today in a local store. Was wondering how accuracy,reliability and just over all function of the guns are. Never owned a ruger m77
Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have 3 Ruger rifles, never had a problem with any of them.
77 22LR, 77 220 swift tang safety, 77 243 tang safety.

Al
Old 12-08-2016, 02:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I have one M77 UL in 30-06...tang safety. No problems had it for years. Very accurate but a fair amount of recoil due to the light weight.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:21 AM
Banned

I HAVE HAD ruger m77 in .223 for over twenty years , it is my go to coyote killer.have never had an issue with it after thousands of rounds fired through it. I seldom miss though I also seldom shoot farther then a couple hundred yards.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also have a Ruger M77 with tang safety in 25-06 with a bull barrel. It's a heavy rascal, but is great for critters the size of coyotes on up through deer and I would probably use it on an elk with a good bonded bullet if I didn't have 3 30-06s for those bigger animals. Ruger makes some very solid firearms in both rifles and hand guns at very reasonable prices.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ain't no 77 tang safety...

The push feed tang safety M77 is a pretty different animal than the Controlled Round M77 MKII and M77 MKII Hawkeye - of which that "M77 Predator" is most likely the latter (don't recall a straight Mark II predator, they were all "varmint," not predator).

The Predator is a great rifle, doesn't get much credit in the market, but it's one of the better Ruger options. Heavy, like all Rugers, and a little frustrating for optics mounting, since you're stuck with the integrated ring mounts, but there are good rings available , and the mount system is very strong and solid.

The MkII and MkII Hawkeye are effectively identical, save the upgraded LC6 trigger and a slimmer stock profile. The Predator is arguably not a Hawkeye, since it doesn't use the Hawkeye stock, nor the LC6 trigger. CRFP rifles aren't famous for accuracy, especially the Rugers, but Ruger does produce remarkably consistent barrels and fantastically strong actions - although many don't favor the investment cast receivers, irrationally.

If you make a few small improvements to that Predator, it'll shoot as good as any rifle in its class, with a lot of class and style doing so.
  • Improve the trigger - this is a must. The Predator's 2 stage trigger is a big upgrade over the old Mark II trigger, or even over the Hawkeye LC6 trigger, but it's still not great. A smith can tune it, but there aren't many of us who work on Ruger triggers, especially the two stage, and aftermarket triggers can be had for about the same price. A Timney, SpecTech, or Jard replacement is the best option. I have all of these - just watch yourself on the part numbers, as the Mark II triggers don't fit Hawkeye Predators for all brands. PM me if you want guidance on part numbers for each.
  • Free Float the barrel & Block & Bed the action - not all smiths will bed Ruger's due to the angled front action screw, but it's not THAT difficult if you take your time and mind what you're doing. Pillars are readily available on the market, but good stockmakers screws are not really. I make my own to match my process for installing the pillars. Even for spotter barrels, they'll shoot as good or better with the barrel free floating, especially if you're shooting strings and letting the barrel get warm. Stock pressure makes Rugers walk, just like any rifle.
  • Torque the front action screw to ~90in.lb. - the angle of the front action screw means 90in lb is only equivalent to ~63 in other perpendicular screw actions. Which is still a lot, but it WILL improve accuracy with the Ruger action. Not everyone owns a suitable torque wrench for this application, but a $27 Husky from Home Depot or Lowe's will work fine.
  • Free Float the magazine box - very common for the mag box to be sandwiched between the bottom metal and the action, creating a pressure point under the action, detrimental to accuracy. Pull the bottom. I clean up the bottom metal inletting and bed the bottom metal to ensure consistent pressure and position, then use a mill file to dress the mag box to ensure it's floating in the stock, just resting between the bottom metal and the action, and not sandwiched under pressure. This eliminates and bending or twisting pressures on the bottom of the action.
  • True and Lap the locking lugs - like any fixed bolt head rifle, truing and lapping the bolt lugs will help with lug contact and improve consistency. Not a Ruger specific task, but they do need it done.

Scratch those off and you'll find yourself with a rifle as accurate as anything in its class typically can be. It'll be good out of the box, with this done, it'll be great.