Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
First Real Gun >

First Real Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First Real Gun

Old 12-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I have had and still have a few Savages and I have yet to have a single problem with feed, extraction, reliability, or accuracy. I pull the trigger and they go bang. I work the bolt or the lever, they eject and feed a fresh round and go bang again when I pull the trigger. Having built over 50 rifles for myself and 30 or so for others I think I have just a slight, tiny, smallest little inkling, of an idea of how a rifle should work. I'm no "Savagisto" but as far as out of the box accuracy and dependability, as far as my experiences have been in over 60 years of buying, shooting, working on, customizing, reloading for, shooting 1000 yard matches with, hunting pretty much every big game species on this continent, with MANY different rifles, I can honestly say they are about as good as it gets when it comes to an affordable and dependable and accurate rifle out of the box.
+1 I have no idea where Vapodog is coming from, but the Savage is as we have described and for their price there is not much that can beat them. Now if he's talking about going up to a Sako or something similar then there isn't much of a comparison, but dollar for dollar IMHO a Savage can't be beat.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Either caliber is great. I have both and love them both equally. A gun you might look at is the Howa. They are simply a Weatherby vangard with a better stock. You can get one with a free floated barrel and excellent hogue over mold stock and decent glass for around $500. The triggers are the best stock trigger I have ever used. It blows the accu trigger out of the water, and it is a pretty good trigger.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 12-16-2016 at 06:43 AM.