Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
All Illinois shooters >

All Illinois shooters

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

All Illinois shooters

Old 11-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default All Illinois shooters

Okay guys, got a little predicament and need a little info or help. I got a buddy up around Chicago that is in a tiny bit of a pickle. He lives in Summit next door to an Apartment my son and I keep for when we are working in Chicago and don't feel like driving there and back home for hours. He's a really good guy but got busted up about 10 years back and hasn't been able to work so money is VERY tight for the guy. Anyway, I found him a Muzzleloader and gave him all the stuff to go with it for shooting. Problem is, it's a pretty long haul for the fella to come down to my place and shoot! Needing to find a place for him to go to shoot the thing and get it dialed in. It's really too late now for him to get it ready for season this year so I'm loaning him my shotgun to deer hunt this year but I'd like to find somewhere closer for the guy to practice with his MLer. Any ideas of where he could go? I know there are a couple of clubs within around an hours drive but they want you to buy a membership in their club as well as an ISRA (Illinois State Rifle Association) membership. He just simply can't afford that. Especially for something he will only be using 3 or 4 times a year. I can personally vouch for him. He's an excellent marksman and very vigilant as far as safety goes and he would treat your property better than his own. Known him for around 9 years now and every time he has been to my place he always picked up after himself and usually left my range cleaner than when he got there! Any assistance would be appreciated in helping a fellow hunter get back into our beloved sport.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Wish I could help, but I'm a solid 3-3.5 hours (depending on traffic). Surely there's a sportsmans club or outdoor shooting range just outside city limits that he can use.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not that I've been able to find. Other than the couple that want to charge an arm, leg, partial liver, and 1 kidney! Won't even let a non member pay a little for range time unless he is a guest of a member. That's one BIG thing I miss about PA. At least the area I lived. State public ranges all over the place.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buffalo Rock Range in Ottawa
Old 11-06-2016, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Buffalo Rock Range in Ottawa
HA! Thanks Matt! That range, for some odd unknown reason, didn't come up in my search! Still 1.5 hour drive but it's just 30 beans for an all day pass. I think he can swing that. Sure a lot closer than 4.5 hour drive to my place that's for sure. Thanks again Matt for the suggestion.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

there's a range in/near bristol, WI, might be closer to chicago than Ottawa is...
Old 11-07-2016, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
there's a range in/near bristol, WI, might be closer to chicago than Ottawa is...
Sheesh I am seriously retarded. I didnt even think about WI being as I am in deep southern IL. And that place is like a half hour closer to him. Same cost as the other range as well. Thanks a ton salukipv1!
Old 11-08-2016, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anytime.

Have fun shootin!