Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
6.5 creedmoor >

6.5 creedmoor

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

6.5 creedmoor

Old 10-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Spike

Default 6.5 creedmoor

Just picked up a 6.5 creedmoor a few weeks back and don't know a great deal about correct bullets for this rifle. I have read a good bit about caliber and performance is amazing. I wanna make this my go to rifle but need to know what would be correct ammo /bullet choice for my hunting situation. Will be hunting whitetail here in georgia where I live. Shots usually range from 100-300 yards. But need to know what will and will not work in case one comes in at close range.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot ELD target for steel. There is an ELD-X hunting bullet. BC is very good with both.
I have not used the X on game but it is supposed to be a good bullet.
I believe Berger makes a hunting bullet with a high BC.
Son in law shoots them and they are very accurate.
H4350 is the most popular powder. RL-17 is what I shoot as 4350 has been hard to find around here.
We shoot the 140 gr bullets at around 2750=2800.
I think you will like the Creedmoor.
There is a website devoted to the 6.5 Creedmoor that will answer most any question you may have. Just search 6.5 Creedmoor.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

I've heard the ELD bullet is somewhat fragile. If you're hunting for meat you might want to search for a different bullet. Can't go wrong with a bonded bullet like the Accubond, especially if you could expect shoots as far as 300 or as close as 30.

If I ever get a new rifle or a rifle barrel for my Encore, I'm definitely choosing a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's no need to shoot an ELD-X, or Berger VLD Hunting, or Nosler Accubond, or any other super-bullet with super high BC for 0-300yrd deer hunting. Any cup & core bullet will be fine.

Kinda put the cart before the horse to buy the 6.5 Creed rifle before identifying appropriate bullets for your application though. What drove you to buy it?

The ELD's are pretty cheap, so you're not paying high prices for high BC like some other bullets. For shorter ranges, the ELD most likely will suffer from the same issue as any tipped bullet - don't hit anything too hard and you'll be fine, but hitting the shoulder may get messy.

Any expanding bullet which groups well for you will kill deer at 300yrds from the 6.5 Creed.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:38 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
There's no need to shoot an ELD-X, or Berger VLD Hunting, or Nosler Accubond, or any other super-bullet with super high BC for 0-300yrd deer hunting. Any cup & core bullet will be fine.

Kinda put the cart before the horse to buy the 6.5 Creed rifle before identifying appropriate bullets for your application though. What drove you to buy it?

The ELD's are pretty cheap, so you're not paying high prices for high BC like some other bullets. For shorter ranges, the ELD most likely will suffer from the same issue as any tipped bullet - don't hit anything too hard and you'll be fine, but hitting the shoulder may get messy.

Any expanding bullet which groups well for you will kill deer at 300yrds from the 6.5 Creed.
In my opinion I didn't put the cart before the horse. I didn't buy the rifle,it was left to me by my uncle. I have allways wanted one just never pulled the trigger to buy one. My uncle knew that so that's how I ended up with it. I have my favorite bullets like anybody and I'm sure they will be fine when the correct load gets worked up. Just wanted opinions on what people are using in similar situations