Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Encore barrel or new rifle? >

Encore barrel or new rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Encore barrel or new rifle?

Old 10-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

I've purchased 2 Encore frames since T/C first came out with them,a blue and a stainless steel. I have a few barrels for handgun & rifle hunting,the caliber I use the most is the 7mm-08,killed quite a few deer over the years and a New Mexico Pronghorn and a Black Bear. I could of saved a few dollars if I had that caliber first..
Old 10-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry for all the questions but growing up a Hoosier I've never had rifles. I have seen a few different twists in the guns/barrels. Does the Encore 243 only have one option for the rifling or are there options, if so what do you recommend? I do not reload but have been told there are several rounds made specifically for whitetail in 243.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
Sorry for all the questions but growing up a Hoosier I've never had rifles. I have seen a few different twists in the guns/barrels. Does the Encore 243 only have one option for the rifling or are there options, if so what do you recommend? I do not reload but have been told there are several rounds made specifically for whitetail in 243.
They are 1:10 twist which is fine for anything up to 100-105 grain bullets. That's the twist on my youngest daughters .243 and she practices out to 600 yards with hers all the time. Bangs the gong with pap at 800 sometimes just to keep me humble One of the .243's I have has a 1:9.3 Shilen barrel which is a tack driving machine with the 85gr Hornady Interbonds (stupidly temporarily suspended but I still have a few hundred ) but it really doesn't shoot any better than the daughters. That could be operator malfunction

Since you don't reload you will just have to do some experimenting with different factory loads to find what your rifle likes to eat. Same thing we reloaders have to do to find that perfect combination.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

1:10" twist 243win for a hunting rifle will be absolutely fine.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

I went ahead and ordered the 28 inch stainless steel in .243 Win. E A Brown had 10% off right now so that helped as well. Hopefully I get it this week so I can get a scope on it and get ready for hunting season.

Curious what power scopes you guys use when hunting with .243? I've always used 3-9X40 on my muzzle loaders. I didn't know if that is enough power for the range of the .243 or if I should up the power a little bit to keep up with the guns capabilities?

Last edited by flyinlowe; 10-08-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

That will be fine for the ranges you will want to stay at. You aren't used to rifle shooting so anything beyond 200-250 yards with a .243 would be outside of your wheelhouse for a while. And a 3-9 is perfect for that range on whitetail.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

I would like to see some of your guys suggestions of factory loads for whitetail.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it shoots accurately out of your rifle, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...tail-box-of-20 the bullet used in those is one of my favorite bullets on game. I haven't bought factory ammo in decades so I don't know the particular load and such but that bullet, the Interlock, has yet to ever let me down. From the info, it's loaded at 2950 fps. Out of your new 28 inch barrel you will probably be approaching 3000+
Old 10-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the Hornady line. They have a pretty nice line. I have not hunted with factory ammo in so many years I forgot what its like, just as many others here as well have. I reload a ton of the ballistic tip projectiles and really like them!!!! Great reliabilty and performance. Top rate ballistics and many different styles to choose from for your need.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Look at the Hornady line. They have a pretty nice line. I have not hunted with factory ammo in so many years I forgot what its like, just as many others here as well have. I reload a ton of the ballistic tip projectiles and really like them!!!! Great reliabilty and performance. Top rate ballistics and many different styles to choose from for your need.

^What he said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.