Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Fact or Fiction...Rifle Accuracy? >

Fact or Fiction...Rifle Accuracy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Fact or Fiction...Rifle Accuracy?

Old 02-01-2002, 10:12 PM
Spike

Default Fact or Fiction...Rifle Accuracy?

A friend and I are sort of having a late night "debate" about gun accuracy. He says one way to determine whether or not a rifle will be accurate before you ever buy it, is to place the bullet/lead end of a cartridge in the tip of the muzzle. If it fits snuggly and no higher than half way up the tip, the gun will be accurate, but if it goes down to the brass and is wobbly, the barrel has been shot out and the gun won't hit the broad side of a barn. I told him that technique won't work because whether or not the bullet is wobbly and goes down to the brass depends on the weight/grains of the bullet, not the wear and tear on the barrel. HELP! Is his opinion fact or fiction?

Thanks,
BOLTACTION

"Unless we protect the freedoms we enjoy, we will one day have no freedoms to enjoy."
Old 02-01-2002, 10:23 PM

Default RE: Fact or Fiction...Rifle Accuracy?

Absolute pure fiction propagated by people who do not understand mechanical objects.To measure barrel wear, which I assume this is supposed to do, will only be determined this way IF you know two things.ie" the exact taper of the bullet ogive(most are not tapered but spherical,thereby complicating the formula)),and a reference point. This is akin to gauging a tapered thread or a tapered fit.Sticking a bullet into the muzzle does not tell you a thing.One of those old wive's tales we keep hearing.Most will say you are looking at the wrong end of the barrel if you are trying to see if a barrel is "wearing out". I'll bet it's near impossible to wear out the muzzle end of a barrel, unless it's with a cleaning rod.The other end of the rifleing can however wear out and affect accuracy.This is easy to verify by peering into the chamber and looking at the "throat".I once saw an uncle do exactly what your friend described about 30 years ago. I realized later that he knew even less about guns than I thought back then.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-02-2002, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If there is a prblem with the muzzle, it is most likely to be a damaged crown which can easily be repaired, or the muzzle bore being out of round by cleaning rod wear. I agree with other that the bullet test will tell you nothing.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:58 AM
Host of Hosts

Fiction!!
Old 02-02-2002, 08:56 AM

Boltaction,

I have a couple of friends like that offer advise like tha too. Just do what I do...hand them another beer, look at them intently like you think they really know what they are talking about and nood a lot.

Oh and have a beer for yourself.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your friend should refrain from giving firearm advise because he doesn't have a clue as to what he is talking about.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:37 AM
Spike

I agree with StubbleJumper. My friend needs me to wash his mouth out with a soapy wash rag and stick a dress on him with a pair of asbestos underwear! He is evidently promoting old wives tales! No wonder he always trading off his prized possessions...his GUNS!

Keep it rollin' fellows,
BOLTACTION

"Unless we protect the freedoms we enjoy, we will one day have no freedoms to enjoy."
Old 02-02-2002, 09:39 AM
Spike

Oh, by the way if my friend starts itching too much from wearing the asbestos underwear, I think I'll recommend that he rub down in alcohol!

For the road,
BOLTACTION

Old 02-02-2002, 11:37 AM

I would hand your friend another Beer and change the subject.

Quick Reply: Fact or Fiction...Rifle Accuracy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.