Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
1/2 inch all day,if i do my part ! >

1/2 inch all day,if i do my part !

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1/2 inch all day,if i do my part !

Old 05-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

PS: I don't appreciate the ads being added to my post!!!
Old 05-06-2016, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RaySendero
PS: I don't appreciate the ads being added to my post!!!
What ads??
Old 05-06-2016, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
What ads??
He probably doesn't have an ad blocker set up properly on his computer. I never see an ad on this site the way mine is set up.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

LOL - OK guys, Ya'll look at my #10 post.

I, too, no longer see the 3 ads that were added at the bottom of that post the moment I wrote it.
However, I now see a large space at the bottom where the 3 ads were added to that post.

What do you see?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Damnit, Now there's one at the bottom of my above post.

Help - What do I need to do with my pop-up blocker?
Old 05-07-2016, 02:44 AM
Typical Buck

Everyone on the internet has a 1/2" tack driver. In reality, the average guy can't consistently shoot that well. Some of my factory rifles (Savage 11 243, Browning Abolt 280, Savage 11 youth 7'08) can get there with good hand loads, most are 1 MOA shooters. I'm the weak link. Some days I shoot pretty damn good, others not so much.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:50 AM
Typical Buck

Lets get back to my post on 1/2 inch factory guns ?
So far only 2 guys have given a true world answer,Tufrthnails & Jeepkid ! Others have stated that their rifles will do it all day everyday,then go on to say how they worked on their gun and their hand loaded ammo !
I am saying the average fellow,whom lucks onto a 3 shot group of 1/2 or less? Then his gun will do it all day long but,on which day is that ?
As to myself,Mr. Sendero, i am well beyond shooting 1/2 or 1/4 inch groups. I had shot Bench rest,factory class for years, I won many matches and took more second places than i liked! This is where i come up with the deal of factory guns not shooting 1/2 inch or less all day long !I have seen quite a few guys leave the range with broken hearts from a matches !
The variables involved are many? Such as ,how many rounds before it opens up,the temp out side,the wind,the ammo,the barrel fouling and so on.
3 shot groups are fine for the hunting type of men but i always,out of habit,believe in the 5 shot,or more groups !
It has been said that new guns are capable of 1 inch group,out of the box? Could be! But how many hunting type of people know how to care for that new gun to continue the 1 inch or less ability ? It isn't many ! Beside,IMHO,there is not much factory ammo,that these folks will buy,that will shoot 1 inch or less,all day long ?
ALL DAY LONG IF I DO MY PART ? Man,i hate that statement !
Why have the Snipers and other sharp shooters.began shooting center mass instead of head shoots?
Consistency is a fact of shooting! The only thing i know that is consistent is the sun coming up.

Last edited by mounting man; 05-07-2016 at 02:56 AM. Reason: spell
Old 05-07-2016, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

First off I never said mine would do it all day long. In my 55+ years of shooting I've had 3 factory rifles that would shoot 1/2" or better if I did my part. Hate that statement or not it's true. Some days you're just into it more than others. One of which I still own and I am going to give to my grandson this year. If you don't believe me - well that's your prerogative. But don't call me a liar.
And while we're on this subject I just remembered that I had a butt ugly H&R Handi Rifle in .223 with a bull barrel that looked like it was finish machined with a bastard file! I had it to a range in FL back around 2000 and after a session on the line, the range officer came walking past and asked how it was shooting. I told him to take a look. After peering through my spotting scope at the ragged hole about 3/4"-1" he asked how many rounds were in there. He was shocked when I told him at least 15 and showed him the empty cases.

Last edited by bronko22000; 05-07-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you mean "snipers started shooting CM rather than HS?" Always been taught to go for CM in just about every situation! The only time HS is recommended is for armed/hostage situations where the target is to be "switched off" and that is 9 times out of 10 in a 40 yards or less target acquisition. And before you go spouting off what you read in some soldier of fortune magazine,my time in SSBC at Lejeune is why I hate Lejeune! So how's about you stick to what you might or might not know with bench guns and leave the SS training to those of use that have been through it!

Also for the record, there are many on here that shoot a hell of a lot more than "your average hunter". I usually send more rounds downrange in a week than a lot of "hunters" do in their lifetime. As does most of the guys who have posted right here on this thread. A lot of you "bench guys" crack me up because a lot of you seem to think you know all there is to know about shooting and the "other shooters" don't know their butts from a hole in the ground. Most of you wouldn't know what to do if you didn't have a 30 pound bulled barrel and a 20 pound stock! Just why is it you seem to think we don't know about barrel heat causing "stringing" or barrel fouling causing groups to open up? Part of when I test a new rifle out is seeing just when the barrel heats up to a point to cause stringing!

In ending, I'll say what's already been said, just because YOU can't do it in no way means others can't!
Old 05-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bravo Superhunt54...I like that post. Straight, true and to the point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.