Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 SAVAGE? HAS SOME BIG BARGAIN DEAL FOR DEER RIFLES? ANY GOOD? >

SAVAGE? HAS SOME BIG BARGAIN DEAL FOR DEER RIFLES? ANY GOOD?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SAVAGE? HAS SOME BIG BARGAIN DEAL FOR DEER RIFLES? ANY GOOD?

Old 10-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default SAVAGE? HAS SOME BIG BARGAIN DEAL FOR DEER RIFLES? ANY GOOD?

I went to look at deer rifles the other day, and I was asking if there are any brand new cheap deer rifles out there for sale. This guy showed me a Savage magazine and told me that for $300 you can get a brand new Savage, with a scope and sling. It was probably one of the cheaper Savages I take it. You guys know more about it than me though. Would it be worth it? You can get it in dang near any caliber. I was thinking the .300 mag or a .270. Synthetic stock or wood too....all for 300 bucks.

thanks
Old 10-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: SAVAGE? HAS SOME BIG BARGAIN DEAL FOR DEER RIFLES? ANY GOOD?

BB,

I have two of them; one is a 110 the other is a model 112. Both are very accurate and reliable. The 112 is bull barrel .220 Swift single shot and is very accurate. The 110 is a.30/06. I also bought a new trigger for each. Dunno about the scope, that may be an issue. But, if you only spend $300 on the rifle, maybe you could add a decent scope and a trigger. You can also do some bedding to improve your gun.

$300 is a good deal
Old 10-19-2003, 10:34 PM

Sounds like a hell of a deal to me, I have never heard anything bad about the Savage rifle line.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:35 AM

I have a synthetic stocked, blue steel, Model 111, (it has the removable magazine). It came with a 3 X 9 Simmons scope and the rifle package was a little over $300. It' s chambered for .30-06, shoots well, but I was not particularly happy with the scope....(what can you expect for $300. total?!?). I took the Simmons off and put it on a Savage chambered for the .17 HRM and it works well there. A NIKON Buckmaster 3 X 9 went on the Model 111 and it works much better for me. (The only real reason I did NOT like the Simmons on the .30-06 was because the " eye relief" is critical......there is not very much tolerance of where your eye is placed in relationship to the scope. It doesn' t matter for the kind of shooting I do with the .17 HRM.....but it did hinder " rapid sighting" for quick shooting sometimes needed on whitetails. The NIKON has a " less critical" eye relief and allows me to acquire targets more rapidly. But it is a matter of personal preference....I know more than a few people that use the rifle " packaged" as is and are pleased!)

In short....it represents a very good value for the $300.

Good luck in making your decision!
Old 10-20-2003, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great gun. Very accurate and a solidly built rifle. I like the synthetic. The wood' s nice, too, but a little cheap looking. The scope is usually junk but will get you through a few seasons until you decide to upgrade. The only problem I have with Savage rifles is the feeding. Could be a lot smoother.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

The only problem I have with Savage rifles is the feeding. Could be a lot smoother.
Barnes, you have to admit, that for $300 this problem could be overlooked. After all, you will have one in the chamber and if you only need one well placed, high % shot....well let' s just say you won' t even notice a " feeding" problem[:-]
Old 10-20-2003, 04:45 PM

I have the 110 in wood, 270 and it is very good. Never noticed a feeding problem, feels smooth to me.

Bought mine at a pawn shop for $220, it was used but " brand new" condition for sure.. The Savage written on the bolt was like out of the box.

It wasn' t a package deal but came with a sling, I bought a used 44mag Simmons scope for $15.00 and then put $50.00 Leopold mounts on it.
$285+sales tax total in it.

A great shooter, accurate to boot! Got it sighted in for 130gr Corelockt. BANG!
Old 10-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve had a 110 7mm mag for 8 years and it may be the ugliest gun I have, but it' s a shooter. I' ve never heard any problems with the savage beside the plastic trigger guard (I' ve never had a problem with it, but it' s just a " cheap" feature" )

Like the above posts say, you will be wise to upgrade the scope. Leapold are the only scopes that will grace my rifles anymore. If I could afford better, I would, for the money, I think leapold are the best
Old 10-21-2003, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage is rated the most accurate bolt action gun right out of the box!! I wouldn' t hesitate at all about getting a Savage!! They now come with a brand new trigger which makes them even better since it is adjustable!! Yep, my next rifle will be a Savage for sure in the new .270 WSM!!

Old 10-22-2003, 03:35 PM

having recently purchased a 111 combo in .270 I will add that I am already looking at a new scope... (hope my wife doesn' t find this). I have been to the range twice, and the only complaint I have at this time is that it seems that if I am trying to chamber the cartridge from the right side of the clip it is far less than smooth. Matter of fact it pretty much just jams. Now, if it is the cartridge from the left side of the clip it is as smooth as silk? It is too close to hunting season to send it in, anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: SAVAGE? HAS SOME BIG BARGAIN DEAL FOR DEER RIFLES? ANY GOOD?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.