Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Semi-auto rifle for OH and IN deer? >

Semi-auto rifle for OH and IN deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Semi-auto rifle for OH and IN deer?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:21 AM
Spike

Well, I've been researching on the internets for the past 3 days now and it looks as though a semi-auto for a straight-walled cartridge is a tall order. I think I have settled on a lever action .357. I shot my first deer with a lever action 35 years ago, and they are fun to shoot. Plus, the .357 is a versatile round that is very easy to find, and I already have a .357 revolver anyway.

I appreciate the input y'all provided though. But sometimes it turns out the best helping hand is right there at the end of your wrist. Cheers!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by swampmusic
Well, I've been researching on the internets for the past 3 days now and it looks as though a semi-auto for a straight-walled cartridge is a tall order. I think I have settled on a lever action .357. I shot my first deer with a lever action 35 years ago, and they are fun to shoot. Plus, the .357 is a versatile round that is very easy to find, and I already have a .357 revolver anyway.

I appreciate the input y'all provided though. But sometimes it turns out the best helping hand is right there at the end of your wrist. Cheers!

That would be a good choice for the shot range you specified. I do advice that you use a 158 grain or heavier bullet that holds together at rifle velocities.