Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Inherited 9 guns, not familar with them >

Inherited 9 guns, not familar with them

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Inherited 9 guns, not familar with them

Old 11-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Inherited 9 guns, not familar with them

Unfortunately, the loss of my father in law has resulted in me inheriting a few guns. None are particularly valuable but a few seem ok, though generally unfamiliar to me.

One is a mauser 7.65 berline irin sight gun in nice condition

The other is a rem 7400 deluxe 270 cal. This one is of interest to me but not sure if this action is good or not. Scope is pretty cheap

Next, there is a nice lever action 30/30 w a weaver scope. Dont recall brand of gun.

While there are others, the last one i will mention is a 28 inch beretta a390 sporting 12 ga. The barrel is ported and was used for clays but only 400 rounds have been run thru it.

Several other guns like a rem wingmaster, pistols, 22s and others.

Any thoughts on the mauser, rem 7400?
Old 11-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

post some pics, so we can offer the best response
Old 11-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

That 7400 may be SWEET!

But to get to the bottom of what you have we would need full info and pics.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 7400 .270 in good to excellent condition goes from 250 to 550 generally. Engraved models in excellent condition could go for a bit more but not a whole lot. Had one in .30/06 and gave it to my uncle in law in Kentucky. Was an okay shooter but I just never really cottoned to it. He loves the thing. Killed several deer with it since I gave it to him.

That Mauser I would have to see some detailed pictures to give you any advise whatsoever about it. Has it been modified in any way? If not, get a few pics of the markings on it so I can give you the country of origin. If memory serves that is either a Belgian or an Argentine action (not Berlin) The 7.65x53 was pretty much the same as the British .303 (same .311 diameter bullet) and was adopted all through South America. The actions of those early Mausers was a little on the weak side so loads for them are pretty anemic. No where near as strong as say the K98 Mauser action.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:26 AM
Typical Buck

Several helpful posts already. I will post pics when i can though i remember struggling with that on this site vs other sites ive used. I dont expect any of these guns to be worth a whole lot, he generally spent little money on things like this so the scopes are junk and the guns are in used but ok condition. They need to be cleaned but after cleaning my daughters 243, my ML and the new AR, i was tired of cleaning. ��
Old 11-02-2015, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tealboy
[T]here is a nice lever action 30/30 w a weaver scope. Dont recall brand of gun.
Given that these are inheritance firearms - implying they have a little age - and that he didn't spend a lot on his firearms, and that this 30-30 is scoped, I'd venture that it's a Marlin or Glenfield/Marlin. Even with the angle eject correction, it's pretty rare to see a scoped Winchester 94, so if it has a scope on it, most likely it's a side-spitting Marlin (or Marlin/Glenfield). They're not necessarily collectible, but the prices on new leverguns are through the roof compared to what they were only 10-15 short years ago, which has driven up the resale price of used models. There's also a pretty staunch faction of buyers that will only buy JM stamped Marlins.

So in general, many of the JM stamped Marlins will fetch more used than they did brand new on the shelf. It's pretty easy to sell one for $350, and if you spend any effort, you can draw $450-500 from the right crowd if it's in great shape. It wasn't that long ago that I bought a used 30A for $150, and bought a new 336 for under $300 - tax included! There isn't much love for the levergun in today's market, but there are those of us that still want them - assuming we can get ourselves over the spike in resale costs!

Originally Posted by tealboy
Several other guns like a rem wingmaster, pistols, 22s and others.
Gotta quit teasin' us, man! Naming 9 guns isn't a long list to write! Don't discount old pistols as low value too quickly, you might be surprised what some of them can bring (not a mint, but parallel stories to the Marlin above). Another example that you MIGHT have on hand is a Ruger Standard, Mark I, or Mark II 22lr pistol. They were inexpensive at the time, but there's a semi-collectible factor on them now, so they can fetch reasonable prices. A used Standard in good condition might bring $300-500 to the right buyer, whereas most folks just look at it as an old used 22lr pistol and expect it to be worth $150-200.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

I'd defer to others on the Mauser rifle although Mauser actions are pretty well respected for building custom rifles. A buddy has a Rem 7400 in .243 and has used it for deer hunting forever. You couldn't get him to part with that rifle for any amount of money.

All of these guns are going to have a sentimental factor that only you can determine. After you clean them, have a gunsmith check any you're unsure of and have fun shooting the various guns and remembering your dad.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you have a reputable gun dealer around (someone that won't try to snowball you) pack them up and take them there and have him give you an honest value of them.