Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New ar15 iron sights too hard >

New ar15 iron sights too hard

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New ar15 iron sights too hard

Old 11-01-2015, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default New ar15 iron sights too hard

I planned to keep my new ar very basic and simple with a strong bias to use iron sights. I did ok out to 50 yards but certainly not right groups. For the sole purpose of shooting pigs and coyotes or plinking it is ok but I'm afraid I will need to buy a scope. I don't wear glasses or contacts bc my vision is decent and particularly good at distance but up close not good. The iron sights are blurry. As the light falls it gets even worse.

What should I do, buy a red dot or 1-4x24 bushnell scope for $150.

Lots of options for 3x9s but I don't want that big of a scope and expect 95 percent of my shots will be between 40-100 yards with a rare 125.

Will my eye condition cause problems w red dot too? The scope can be adjusted for better focus but red dots? Can u really shoot reliably at 100 yards with red dot?

Wish to spend as little as possible since a scope wasn't part of the plan but can live w up to 200$ if necessary
Old 11-01-2015, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nikon P-223 carbine scope fixed 3x is a good buy. It fits a lightweight build very well. Just sight in like you would any other scope and find what the bdc dots are actually sighted in for.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Saw the Nikon but I think a fixed 3x might be too strong vs a 1-4 vari but do like the Nikon better
Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no issues with the fixed 3 power. Nikon makes 1-4 variable scopes so check them out. I agree with you about the 3-9x40 for your purpose. I had one on my lightweight AR and it was just too big. I had to keep the adjustable stock fully extended and the weight was noticeable. I like small carbine scopes on M-4 style ARs so I can keep the stock short and the gun light. For a long range setup a full size AR and high power scope would be better suited.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Getting it done for under $200 is kinda difficult, but there are scopes out there.

I have a 3-9x40mm Bushnell AR scope, for the $130 I have into it ($170 minus $40 rebate), it does what it should. I'm sure the 1-4x Bushnell AR is on par with that scope. I never have problems with over-magnification, and I will point out the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mm BDC's are still around to be had for $150, and they're a better scope than the Bushnell AR's.

If I needed a scope in that price range, the Bushnell Banner or AR and Nikon Prostaff or Buckmasters are the 4 that get my money.

You might find that a red dot wouldn't be as blurry as your iron sights. Would be worth trying one at a shop or from a buddy to confirm. I really like the Burris FastFire III, you won't find one for under $200 though except for clearance sales. Might be able to find an FFII for that price, but the FFIII is worth the extra $50.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

You could always get a pair of prescription glasses that are good for the distance of your front sight. You can also buy a Merit optical attachment that sticks to your shooting glasses with a suction cup. It is a small aperture that when you look through it it allows you to focus on your front sight which will become not blurry. They work and are a lot cheaper than prescription glasses or a scope and you should be wearing shooting glasses anyway when shooting if you do not wear glasses.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-01-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just a thought.......................

A shoot-N-see 8" target is about the size of a coyote's/pig's vitals, set it out at 100 yards and take a look with the scope you are considering.

I think you will find that a 3X-9X will serve you well.

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-01-2015 at 09:04 AM.