Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 308 question. >

308 question.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

308 question.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default 308 question.

I was on the Savage site checking out the guns. I am thinking of buying one of the Savage Varmit class rifles in 308. My question is what is the max efficient lenght of barrel for a 308. They have two choices if I read it right. The tactical has a heavy 24 inch barrel and the Varmit has a 26 inch barrel. The cost is about the same and the weight is close as well. Both have the new Savage accutrigger. Anyone have one of these. Do you think the two inches of barrel would make any practicle difference. The main use for this rifle will be as a so called bean field rifle. I don' t want to have to do a bunch of aftermarket stuff to get this gun to shoot. I naever had a Savage that was not damn good right out of the box and the new trigger should eliminate having to install a better trigger. I know one of the Mags woul have more reach but I have had good success silhouetee shooting to 500 meters with the 308. I would like to put a goos silhouette type scope on it. I have been out of that game for quite a while now and don,t know who makes a good trajectory adjustable scope now adays. I had a Bushnell silhouette scope for ten years but sold it when I left the steel game for the younger guys. Thanks
Old 10-15-2003, 07:41 AM

Default RE: 308 question.

26" would give you a " bit" more velocity, but not enough to make a practical difference. I' d go with the 24" . Assuming similiar barrel diameters, the 24" will have slightly less flex and it will be a little handier to manuver.

I' m a big .308 fan as well.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:06 AM

I agree. Go with 24 inches.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Springfield Armory makes a nice scope with the compensator for the .308. You' ll be spending some cash though.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:57 PM

I' d opt for the longer barrel given the weight is the same. Should be good for 75 fps or so, and the extra velocity would fit your beanfield use. Redfield used to offer their AccuTrak system which I lke a lot for rangefinding and bullet drop comp. If you have to buy at ebay, you can always get it repaired if needed at a company called ABO in Miami, FL for $26 plus insurance for shipping return.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I shot steel silhouettee I shot the 190 gr Hornady BT match bullet then for hunting I just switched to the 190 gr BTSP. I did use the match bullet for hunting a few times it seemed to work just as well. I don' t recall the powder right now but it was a highly compressed load. That to the point that they would sometimes pop out a little if the were not more or less taper crimped good. I have the load in my old chronoghraph book. It would really reach out and topple those rams. Deer too. It was just a cheap old 788 remington rifle that I started with and used for three or four years. Then the bolt handle came off and I retired it and built a new one with a douglas barrel on a 700 remington action. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

IIRC, the 788 I used to have had a barrel that was quite a bit shorter than that of a model 700 .308- probably at least 2 inches. It was chambered in .243, but that cartridge burns about the same amount of powder than a .308 anyhow. You shouldn' t need extra length on a .308 barrel.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I forgot to add that the 26 inch barrel is also a stainless steel model the 24 inch is Blue. There would be pros and cons to both. I will never need to carry this rifle much as I have a blind built that I have used for years. I have a shooting bench built inside. Its just about a 50 yard hike from where I park but out of sight of the pasture. I should say where I park is out of sight. From the blind I can see about 2/3 s of my land. The longest possible shot would be about 450 yards. from there on it drops off into another draw. You need to watch where you shoot however because its surronded by posted land. You need to put them down pretty quick unless they are about in the middle and quite a way from the fence. I need to build another blind about 300 yards from my main blind to get a little closer. I don' t get back out there very often.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Savage' s new trigger is a spectacular addition....best on the market in my opinion.

As for the barrel length, flip a coin, you' ll never notice the difference.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

It sound pretty good. Just once I would like to buy a gun that don' t need fixin. It seems like I once saw a chart that sort of gave the best barrel lenght for efficiency with each cartridge but I don' t remember where I saw it now so I thought I would pick some brains here. I kind of like the blue finish better and its on the 24 inch. However the SS with synthetic stock would be trouble free as heck. Its a happy problem to have. Can' t afford both. Thats usually my solution.

Quick Reply: 308 question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.