Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1911 models

Old 07-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1911 models

Without discussing favorite manufacturers too much, what is your favorite 1911 style?

To me the full size 5" guns balance better in my hand and the longer sight radius helps in putting holes where I want them - but on the other hand the 4.25" Commander size is a little easier to carry and usually shoots just about as well. I can never figure out which size I really like the best.

Next is the lightweight frames vs. the all steel Commander style models. I do not use a 1911 for concealed carry and I have had them both. I think I like the all steel better.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Sig fan myself. The latest piece I carry now is the newer Ultra Compact. Little over 3" barrel. Carry's well, but does have a pretty good muzzle flip to it. Still shoots well for such a short barreled .45. Being a bigger guy I can get away with larger framed handguns for carry and still on occasion carry the old Colt. Or if I want to "dress nice" the Sig STX (she's really pretty). I do prefer .45 stopping power over 9mm. Granted I have less ammo but I have never been in the "spray and pray" group.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like the colts, I have a .45 and a .22 caliber Colt Ace, which was a factory made 1911, same weight as the .45. It is my understanding they were made for the .45 competitors to practice with a lot less expensive ammo. They didnt really make many of them. Mine belonged to my wife's step grandfather who was a lifer Marine Cpt and shot competition for the Corps. I love it, it will never be sold.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I like the colts, I have a .45 and a .22 caliber Colt Ace, which was a factory made 1911, same weight as the .45. It is my understanding they were made for the .45 competitors to practice with a lot less expensive ammo. They didnt really make many of them. Mine belonged to my wife's step grandfather who was a lifer Marine Cpt and shot competition for the Corps. I love it, it will never be sold.
I believe they are actually a slight bit heavier like a half ounce to an ounce Oldtimer. They used the same barrel dimensions but only bore a .22 cal bore and chamber. I've shot a couple and they are very nice.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

So...

It sounds like one guy likes lightweight frame Officer's Model size, one guy likes full size steel frame (and his favorite .22), and one (me) is torn between full size steel frame and Commander size steel frame.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually Uncle, It's more according to the weather I.E. Hot or cold. My clothing in other words. I like my old Colt. Been carrying it for a lot of years now. But in summertime with the heat, it's hard to dress appropriately where that thing doesn't "print". That ultra carries great in a holster in the small of my back so I can wear a long short sleeve shirt. I can't carry that Colt or the STX in the small of my back. I either side carry or shoulder holster them.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Commander! I had a Fusion Firearms bobtail one. Twas sweet.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to think that I preferred a full-size, steel-framed 1911. But, I think that was before I had much range time with anything else.

My carry gun most days is an aluminum-framed, compact (3") 1911 in .45 ACP. One, I just seem to shoot it better than the full-size (now that I DO have range time with something else). Two, it's a heckuva lot easier to conceal.

Just my own preference.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Officer, 2011, Government, then Commander, in that order.

My needs and wants for the 1911 dictate that ranking in preference.

Officer: The Officer is a light carrying, concealable version, which is the most applicable for me. Can't do much else with it, besides pleasure shooting, but I carry a lot, so this fits. Plus, they're the sexiest proportion to my eye.

2011:Second most applicable is a competition piece, so a full length double stack 2011 wins that race, hands down.

Government: Go back to my CMP shooting days where a 2011 isn't legal, or considering a "pleasure shooter" that could hold its own in race competition, then the Government would fit.

Commander: I really don't have a use for the Commander at all, except as a pleasure shooter. Nothing wrong with it, but for me, it's the least versatile - it's too long to conceal as well as the Officer, but too short to compete with the 2011 or Government. Decent belt gun, sure, but so are the others (except the 2011, of course).

Last edited by Nomercy448; 07-17-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only have one 1911, the Colt Commander in 45acp. I really like it and it shoots well. I would like to get a Colt Govt model in 45 acp as well. Guess I am a fan of the ponies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.