Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Sako 85 Ejection issues >

Sako 85 Ejection issues

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sako 85 Ejection issues

Old 03-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

did you have a qualified smith look at it? he may be able to help if that is its only flaw.
can't say for sure but knowing how rifles work, its possible the ejector pin is stuck.

when you work the action after firing, the sako claw extractor grips the groove in the casehead pulling it from the chamber, when it clears the ejection port, the ejector pin located on the opposite side of the bolt, pushes on the case at 90 degrees from where the extractor is holding it, causing the case eject straight out the side.

I see 2 possibilities, ejector pin stuck or a weak spring not causing enough pressure to bring the case out where its sposed to so the magazine spring is pushing the mag stack straight up deflecting the case upwards
or

the claw extractor is milled wrong causing the bottom edge to let loose allowing the combined pressure of the mag. spring and the ejector to push the case upwards.
let a smith look at it
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 03-13-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Spike

Yes, the store had a certified gun smith look at it and he thought the issue was a weak spring. They offered to order/replace the spring and I almost considered it, in fact I initially did, but a quick web surf told me that this was NOT an isolated issue. So I decided to just return it to the store rather that fool around. The bottom line is this, a brand new $1700 rifle should not need a repair. Don't they check them before they leave the factory? Well after reading Baretta's response its obvious that I would NOT get their support down the road if it happened again. Its just another example of big company absorbing a small successful company and then changing it to their more "efficient" ways.

As for the M-70.....It's a real nice rifle but I hated the safety. I know its supposed to be real safe, but it seemed stiff and noisy. I also looked at the Kimber Montana and it had a similar safety. In fact they looked like clones. SO both got dropped from my wish list.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

I like rugers, have the 3 of the older 77 mk II and and older model 77. I also have a winchester model 70. I like the three way safeties on the tigers much better then on the winchesters. Have heard good and bad things about brownings.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Spike

Hey Guys I Know what the problem is with these rifles not ejecting properly and it can be fixed so the rifle will accommodate any type of scope in any position. I have proven this on my own 85 hunter in 223 which I have been trying to sort out since I bought it 3 months ago and now it ejects perfectly. My silver scope is riddled with marks which I am not happy with so I'm just in the process of proving the issue with Beretta in the hope of getting a new scope out of them and I will share what I know shortly.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck on that. Beretta has been less than helpful in the past.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Brock, a person should not have to go to self help tinkering or a gunsmith to make a brand new rifle operate the way it is supposed to. That gun would go back to where I purchased it if it were mine, especially since the company knows they have a problem and continues to put those rifles out the door. That doesn't show much consideration for their customers at all. They should all be sent back to the company and Beretta can use them for door props or tomato stakes.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Brock Ryder
Hey Guys I Know what the problem is with these rifles not ejecting properly and it can be fixed so the rifle will accommodate any type of scope in any position. I have proven this on my own 85 hunter in 223 which I have been trying to sort out since I bought it 3 months ago and now it ejects perfectly. My silver scope is riddled with marks which I am not happy with so I'm just in the process of proving the issue with Beretta in the hope of getting a new scope out of them and I will share what I know shortly.
The company already knows what the problem is and it started on the long action rifles shortly after they bought Sako a few years ago, tinkered with the design of the bolt/ejector, and screwed it up to the point where many will only eject the casing straight up into the scope. Telling people like they are to change scopes and/or move their scope to a different position, rather than to admit the problem and go back to the previous well working design is preposterous to say the least! Shame on them, as nobody should have to put up with a poorly designed firearm like that, especially one that costs what the Sako does. I'm surprised a few people with the known problem haven't put their heads together and started a class action lawsuit against the company.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The company already knows what the problem is and it started on the long action rifles shortly after they bought Sako a few years ago, tinkered with the design of the bolt/ejector, and screwed it up to the point where many will only eject the casing straight up into the scope. Telling people like they are to change scopes and/or move their scope to a different position, rather than to admit the problem and go back to the previous well working design is preposterous to say the least! Shame on them, as nobody should have to put up with a poorly designed firearm like that, especially one that costs what the Sako does. I'm surprised a few people with the known problem haven't put their heads together and started a class action lawsuit against the company.
Well stated Sir.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Spike

Hi matt from U.K. I recent bought a sako 85 in 223 am well impressed love the gun groups amazing love it !!!! Apart from won't eject properly some times it does proberly only 3 out of ten to 15 shots so I came up with a shaped piece of acrylic that I stuck to the under side of my scope with double sided tape (not permanent) so wen the bullet goes straight up it hits it an travels out the gun in stead of falling back in the chamber if I can up load a picture I will as soon as. ! works every time !
Old 05-19-2017, 10:14 AM
Spike

Hi matt from U.K. Bought a sako 85 in 223 about 2 years ago an does not eject all the time so I came up wth a piece of acrylic shaped at the angle so wen the bullet goes straight up hits the acrylic that I stuck to the under side of the scope and goes out the chamber !!! Works every time !!!! I'll try an add a pick don't know how to yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.