Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 selloir & bellot >

selloir & bellot

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

selloir & bellot

Old 10-13-2003, 04:40 AM

Default selloir & bellot

i have come across some boxes from that manufacturer. in 8X57 JS. it is 196gr. SPCE. the bullet is tappered somewhat and does not look like any american bullet out there.
has anyone ued this bullet before for hunting? are they loaded to higher presures( spelling ) than the american win and federal?
Old 10-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: selloir & bellot

Quilly - I don' t know what species you will be hunting for, but I did take one whitetail with them and it worked ok. I stopped using them because I felt the bullet was probably a little too strongly constructed for whitetail though.

The one shot I took was a quartering-away shot. I am not sure how the bullet would perform on just a broadside lung shot with no bone to initiate expansion.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:25 AM

Iv shoot alot in 45 acp and thay do grat for me givem a try good luck
Old 10-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Quilly - They are loaded to higher pressure than American ammo, and the loaded round you have there would be ideal for elk out to 250 yards or so. Sling is right about whitetails...probably too much bullet for reliable expansion at close range.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:00 PM

so i should stay with the federal classics?
Old 10-13-2003, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Quilly - You have a couple more choices if you want ammo that is loaded to the full potential of that caliber.

Nosler has a 180 grain ballistic tip in 8 mm for whitetails that I was thinking about trying out. These guys would probably load some for you if you are not into reloading your own:

http://www.cpcartridge.com/index.htm

Another 8 mm load I have wanted to try on whitetail is the Norma " Vulcan." The Norma ammo has similar ballistics to the S & B ammo but the Vulcan has a lighter bullet construction than the SPCE. You can get those here:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=70818

Good luck.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

The S&B' s are loaded to around 50,000 psi which is about the max loading for 8x57, the American stuff is usually loaded around 35,000 psi because they assume that everyone that doesn' t use and ' American' caliber isn' t smart enough to understand bore dimensions and headspacing issues on foreign rifles. [:@]
Old 10-14-2003, 03:39 AM

so this ammop should be safe to shoot out of my CZ VZ24? i am looking down the road to change out the barrel and the saftey for a decent reliable hunting gun for whitetail deer.

Sling...

thank you for the info. when i end up moving out of my house in MA. and move to ME. within the next 2 years or less. i will get into reloading. but for right now. the info you gave me is a option. i just realy can' t tell if the barrel is shot out. but looks in good condition. had decent groups 6" at 100yds using federal classic ammo
Old 10-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Quilly - I am no expert on this, but from what I have read, it is reasonable to expect most military Mausers to give 2 - 4 inch groups at 100 yards. I have not tried Federal ammo, but Remington ammo gave me the worst groups in my gun and that was around 3 inches. PMC and Norma and a custom load with the 200 grain NBT gave the best groups. S & B was somewhere inbetween.