Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Building a big game rifle for my wife >

Building a big game rifle for my wife

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Building a big game rifle for my wife

Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
build her whatever ya want, make it weigh 10#'s, put a pachmeyer decelerator or SVL pad on it, install a QD Holland brake and she'll be fine with it....

RR
Agreed. My wife is 5'3" and 125lbs, she shoots a 45-70, a 300WSM, 7mmRM, and 338WM - also a 12ga 3 1/2 for turkeys, if shotguns count. Not excessively heavy rifles, just good fitting stocks, good pads, and good brakes. Loud as he11 shooting next to her, but I'll take it.

For what it's worth, none of your list is a mountain rifle, none are a "light rifle for a woman," and none are really in great long range elk rounds. I'd also note that you have the SCAR as "solid all around," then discount the AR-10 because it's "heavy". DPMS Oracle 308 is almost identical empty weight as a SCAR.

Bottom line, you want a SCAR, buy yourself a SCAR. No need to pretend that you're buying it for your wife.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

My wife's rifle is a scoped 20" barrel 30-06 carbine weighing 8 1/4 lbs.

I reload a 150 NPT down to 2,500 fps to keep recoil manageable for her.

Her reload develops 2,000 ft-lbs muzzle energy,
But will carry over 1,500 to 150 yds and will carry over 1,000 to 350 yds.

Last edited by RaySendero; 12-25-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at the Styer Pro Hunter "Mountain". I ahve and use this rifle in 308 WIn. and it is a terrific shooter. It has a very nice trigger, excellent accuracy and I like the feel and fit. It has a 20# barrel and weighs about 7.5#, naked. The factory stock has 2 spacers that can be easily removed and reinstalled. This gives you a semi-adjustable length of pull. That might be something important for the fit and feel. As far as cartridge, here's an sort of out of the box suggestion. No doubt a 30.06 Spr., 308 Win., etc. can and has taken many an elk, but if you are looking for a harder hitter. Styer comes in a fine, hard hitting cartridge that is popular in Europe but very much unused here in the US. That is the 9.3x62. The recoil is rather stout, which might be an issue at the range, but if your wife is a "hunter", I lay a dollar to a donut that she'll never feel it when she pulls the trigger on an elk. I have never used this cartridges. Only one guy I know uses this and it is his only rifle ... a Mauser. He has spent the past 35 years or so in diplomatic service. He has hunted in many countries. He has bagged several dang good sized critters including several big bull elk, one heck of a Red Stag and a massive Yukon moose. So, for sure it does not lack killing power. May be too exotic for most, but certainly worth a consideration.

As far as a scope? I asked a buddy what scope was the best for a rifle I was setting up. This was decades ago and was the first time I had really given any real thought to scope quality. His answer has stuck with me. He hesitated a moment and said , "The one that you can afford.". This was his way of saying buy the best that you can. He was spot on then and is spot on now.

In the end, this set up should come in at about your 10# goal.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My thoughts:

1.) What does your wife say about this?

2.) A bolt gun in 7mm-08 Remington could be carried all day and not have much recoil.

3.) Guns get heavier and heavier the longer you carry them. It's not just a matter of being able to carry them, it's a matter of staying fresh. If you're not, it's when you start getting sloppy and the game busts you.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another possibility: 7x57.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Honestly this is what I would get or build something off of it:
Savage Lady Hunter in 7mm-08. It will harvest anything in Colorado you are after. Recoil is mild and when she actually shoots an animal she will not know. Put a 3-9X40 scope on it with DNZ Game Reaper mounts and she would be golden. Easily a 300 yard rifle.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Lady
Rifle Specs
Weights 6lbs
Barrel 20"
Twist rate 1X9
Overall Length 39.5"

10 lbs is a heavy rifle to be toting up and down a mountain with other gear.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 12-27-2014 at 01:21 PM.