Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Aprassial & insure >

Aprassial & insure

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Aprassial & insure

Old 12-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Aprassial & insure

The other morning I walk up the drive way with the pup to get the paper they throw at the end of the dive every Saturday night some time. Off in the far distance I hear a pack of coyotes, A friend lives off that away who I hunt coyotes with a lot. I decide I will call him later in the day and see how his trip out west went, and ask about us getting together over Christmas holidays to see what we can call up.
He is a realtor and his lively hood has been in the crapper since 2007 but has picked up greatly in the last year and a half. Doing so well he decided to take a trip out west to hunt pheasants in N. Dakota, Antelope in Montana and Take a crack at a bear in Idaho. He had returned home on Nov. 10th. Since he had been gone for 2 Ĺ weeks he decided to take his wife and daughter still at home out to a dinner at a nice place and a movie. They returned home to a swinging door on the garage side of the house and it was wide open. First thing they noticed when they went in was the flat screen TV in the dining room was gone. As was the bigger one in the living room, stereo and speakers were gone. So were four of his guns all were still in the travel cases sitting by his safe waiting to be cleaned and put away. His house has a alarm system but is monitored as they had dropped that when it was just his wife earning any income during the rough times and he had not got around to get it hooked up again.
The four guns were what were missed the worst. A Husqvarna 65.x55 that his grandfather had bought new in 1952 gave to his father and to him just 3 years ago. A weatherly rifle, a Winchester 101 and a model 21 pump also.
With Michiganís deer season coming up fast he needed a rifle and after the expense of the hunt He could not afford a new complete set up. Off to one of Michiganís biggest used gun stores (Guns Galore Fenton Michigan) but decided to stop at a pawn shop before he got there. Only one gun got his attention a Husky 6.5x55 that had been his. He called the police who came but there was nothing they could do to get this $2000 gun back because he didnít know the serial number No pictures of it up close with idenfying marks either.
The pawn shop owner got out the paper work on the buy and there was a driverís licenses but when the cops contacted the guy he said it had been stolen and there was a police report.
The moral of this story is to record all your serial numbers and get a appraisal, take pictures with close ups of idifying marks.
I just did mine in Sept. Was a pain as I didnít have enough cases to transport them all at once to the shop I used. But it is done and everything is on a couple flash drives with a copy at my daughters too.

Al
Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sucks for him, and good advice on insuring your firearms - or at least keeping detailed records. I keep a spreadsheet of all of my firearms, info like make/model, purchase price, date, S/N, model, unique attributes, location purchased, etc.

A lot of folks put name and phone number under the grip panel of handguns or under the buttplate of rifles/shotguns.

I'm still on the fence about letting anyone know how many guns I own for any purpose. My insurance policy rider only has enough of the most expensive models listed, such that if their value was restored by the policy, then I could replace most of the others that I would want/need. So I made a calculated estimation for replacement costs for all of them, then decided which ones that I know I would want/need to replace, how much all of those would cost, and stacked up the least number of "record guns" to put on paper to make sure I covered that value (meaning only the highest dollar models go on the list, since one high dollar gun I wouldn't care about replacing might replace 2 or 3 cheaper guns that I DO want back).

My old insurance policy/agent was better. I had my agent over (a buddy of mine), we went through appraisal lists and he verified that I possessed the guns, NOTHING WAS WRITTEN DOWN, then we both signed a dollar value for the "collection". If a fire destroyed them, or if they were all stolen, I'd get that value back, minus the value of whatever individual guns I still had.

EDIT: I misread the timing wrong the first time. Still, only takes 2min to put your guns in the safe. Same deal with the fact that he doesn't have record of his serial numbers - takes 2min to write it down.

The best firearm insurance policy you can buy isn't made of paper, it's made of steel. If you don't put them in the safe, it won't do you much good.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 12-12-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

":Sucks for him, and good advice on insuring your firearms"

That kinda' sums it up !!!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nomercy,

I think you read it wrong. He was gone hunting for 2.5 weeks, came home and set the cases next to the safe then took his family out to dinner. Upon their arrival after dinner is when they were stolen.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Nomercy,

I think you read it wrong. He was gone hunting for 2.5 weeks, came home and set the cases next to the safe then took his family out to dinner. Upon their arrival after dinner is when they were stolen.
Yup, I did read it wrong. My context was "we got home after 2.5wks and didn't want to cook so we went out to dinner"... Not as the "I hadn't seen the missus for 2.5wks so I took her out as soon as I got home"...

Makes ya wonder - I don't know where this guy lives, and if there are other houses within "eye-shot," but when someone hits with that kind of timing, it makes ya think they were watching and waiting.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I got all my guns insured I was told to document the serial #s, all the dings and dents and also to have a photo taken with me holding the individual guns to prove I did indeed have possession of them. I did so and then put all the paperwork and pics into my safe in a single file folder. I've never had to use the insurance but it makes me feel better having it. If I sell or buy a new gun I simply update the file accordingly.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

So what kind of insurance costs are we talking about if you have a couple safes full and the best safe has some very high price stuff in it? I have a disk with everything I own and what they are, including serial numbers, scopes on the rifles, etc., but only have pictures of a few and those aren't for the purposes we're talking about here. I can certainly take each one out and take photos of each side, etc. and save them on a disk, as that sounds like a great idea and that will be done ASAP. I have just always figured that the safes will prevent theft and any real fire damage since we are right on the main road in town, near a hydrant, etc. and the money to insure them would be prohibitive the way insurance companies try to shaft you on any claim nowadays.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-12-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most policies cover $500-1000 of "special personal property" like firearms, computers, jewelry, etc without any rider. Then what you want to pay for additional coverage is up to you, based on what you would want to replace in terms of investment value or replacement firearms. If you want to pay top dollar for the best coverage, then you need a "guaranteed replacement" coverage add-on, meaning they pay what it costs to replace that item at that point in time.

When I had all of my guns insured, it cost as much for the special coverage as it did for my standard policy. I had a lot cheaper home and a lot more guns at that time, but it's still a pretty sizable portion of my monthly premium.

You also have to be sure that the policy covers theft. I found out that my first firearms coverage policy didn't after about 2yrs of having it.

I'll admit, I don't focus on theft coverage as much as I do fire coverage - if someone wants to steal my safes, they're going to steal my safes. "Fireproof waterproofing" is what I focus on mostly now. I read a lot of reports that even fire safes end up with total losses in a fire because the safe falls through the floor, or started in the basement, which gets flooded by the firefighting efforts. Then the couple of days it takes to get back into the site and recover the safe is enough time to corrode the guns. I'd have to get over 18" of water in my basement before I get water in my safe, and something would have to go very wrong before any of the spray got into them, unless Joe Fireman sprays directly at the safe door.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remember; Locks are for honest people !!!

Also, Insurance is only good if you need it ?!?!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Joe paid $1400. to get his grandpas rifle back. Still has not found the other stuff either. But he did get a recite so insurance for contents will defray the cost, right now they are close to $6000 worth of stolen goods to be replaced.
Joe has been busy since how ever, got the door removed and a new one set in since the jam was destroyed. Has alarm company monitoring again, all guns that were in the safe were appraised, serial numbers recorded, Hidden some place is a label with Joes name and address on the guns.
Joe found a gun shop that sent a person to his house to do the appraisal too. New TV and other electronics have been engraved with Name and address also in hidden areas.

Going after coyotes day after Christmas as we both are able to hunt deer till the 21st. they didn't get his critter gitter as they couldn't pry the safe open and was bolted to the floor. They figure there were at least 5 guys to clean them out like that.

When my boat was stolen I got it back because the guy that bought it from the pawn shop tried to register it when it was already registered to me. They would not procute the pawn shop for receiving stolen property either, even though the seller is supposed to sign the registertion slip when selling the boat so I am sure the pawn shop knew it was likely stolen.

I had my boat insured and hidden be hind my folks garage, I also had the sales recite from when I bought it new in 1972 and had pictures of I.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.