Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rifled slugs in rifled barrel shotgun? >

Rifled slugs in rifled barrel shotgun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled slugs in rifled barrel shotgun?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lead rifled slug is no more apt to damage the rifling than biting into a plastic sabot.

The leading will be worse, so you'll need to clean frequently. If you recover slugs and see any smearing, then you know you're not getting proper base obturation of the slug.

I'd personally say - based on experience as well as the physics behind it - that a rifled slug in a rifled barrel makes a he11 of a lot more sense than a smooth bore barrel with a rifled choke!!!!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Spike

Yes, leading is an issue, but as long as you promptly and properly clean it after shooting you should be just fine.

Compared to sabots out of a rifled barrel, rifled "Foster" slugs out of a rifled barrel aren't as accurate, but they should be accurate enough. Only a trip to the range will tell you for certain. Oh, and I've noticed it seems to kick a bit more with a Foster slug in a rifled barrel than a sabot, but neither one even approaches my turkey loads.

Have to say, $1/shot sure beats $5/shot, and adds up quick.