Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Thoughts for first pistol >

Thoughts for first pistol

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thoughts for first pistol

Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Spike

Default Thoughts for first pistol

I'm waiting on my permit and trying to get some ideas of what gun to get. Im between a 22lr or 9mm. I've looked around some I like the smith and Wesson m&p 22 compact or the m&p shield 9mm. I mainly see myself using it to target practice and small game hunt. I don't really see myself carrying much maybe occasionally.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the S&W Shield,9MM first & only pistol I've owned. Shot about a 1/2 dozen others including Glock, Berretta,Sig Sauer & Ruger. I like the Shield, nice trigger, decent sights,minimal recoil, conceals well and not to bad to carry all day.

My wife owns a S&W Bodyguard .380. Pleasure to carry! Very long trigger pull, takes some getting use to but with practice can be mastered. Sites SUCK all black hard to pick-up! Easily fixed with Testors model paint. Painted the rear white the front flo-orange.1000% better, cost $2.00.

There's a lot of nice guns out there handle as many as you can see what feels nice to you.

If you're getting a carry permit size, weight, style (auto or revolver) type of holster are a things to take onto consideration.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are even considering concealed carry - a .22lr is NOT a "good" choice IMO.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

You should consider a .357 revolver, you can shoot the less expensive .38 special ammo for practice and target and carry the .357 ammo when you carry concealed.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Spike

Agree that 22Lr is NOT a good round for concealed carry. I teach the class here in Ohio, and have seen many different types/sizes/calibers of weapons used in class. If the weapon will be used primarily for concealed carry, 9mm is hard to beat for manageable recoil and ballistic performance.

If the weapon will primarily be a hunting gun, a .357 revolver would work much better. The drawback being the size. If you get a bigger framed gun, it will be hard to conceal, and if you get a smaller farmed gun the sight radius will be small.

The best solution is to get 2 guns (much more expensive).

I personally carry a Glock 27 40 cal. or 26 9mm depending on my mood as my concealed carry gun. regardless of what weapon you choose, make sure you shoot them before buying, and that they feel good in YOUR hands. Don't rely on someone else to pick your gun.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although it is not a perfect concealed carry pistol, a .22 will be much more useful for your stated purposes. I don't think I know anyone that is a really good pistol (or rifle) shot that did not learn how to shoot by using a .22.

A .22 is much more appropriate for small game and target practice.

If you do decide to find a pistol primarily for CC, a compact 9mm is a good way to go.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

I agree on the 2-gun advice. A 22LR would be perfect for plinking and small game but not recommended for self defense. A 22LR would also be economical to shoot (lots of targets, plinking and hunting for little cost). A 9mm is a much better self defense round but would be overkill on your small game (I'm assuming you mean squirrels & rabbits, etc.). 9mm ammo is also a lot more expensive.

I noticed you like S&W pistols so getting both would also keep your familiarity with the same/similar shooting platform, i.e. safety location, decocking, trigger pull, etc. Enjoy whatever you decide to purchase and let us know how it works out.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get you a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark in .22 so you can learn to shoot..Then go with a larger caliber for concealed carry as you gain experience...
Old 11-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like the idea of getting a .22 and learning to shoot and do some small game hunting with it but you will soon be bit by the buying gun's bug more than likely don't carry a .22 for self defense get the 9mm or what you can handle and shoot properly.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Spike

I think I may start with the 22 to get used to shooting and lower cost of ammo. 357 I think is too much for my needs I will only be using it for squirrel and rabbit really. As for carrying like I said I cant see myself carrying much at all. I don't feel I need it for protection but I guess if I did decide to carry it a 22 is still better than nothing

Last edited by joker80p; 11-06-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.