Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
how did I do on my first rifle setup? all opinions appreciated >

how did I do on my first rifle setup? all opinions appreciated

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how did I do on my first rifle setup? all opinions appreciated

Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Spike

Default how did I do on my first rifle setup? all opinions appreciated

Hi all,

So for a while now I've wanted a solid hunting rifle in either .270 or .308. The primary features i was looking for were ruggedness, reliability, and basic functionality at a price that didn't break the bank. As much as I appreciate a beautiful rifle, I wanted one that didn't need "babying" and that I wouldn't mind knocking around in the bush or snow for years to come.

So I recieved a Browning AB3 in .270 as an unexpected gift which is browning's new budget minded rifle, ( essentially a redesigned x-bolt/a-bolt mashup with simple features to reduce cost) and am mounting a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 on top.

So I have a couple questions
1. What do you think of this rifle? especially in comparison to others in its price range like the t3 lite or 700 sps?Or is it more comparable to an axis or remington 783?
2. will this scope/rifle combo do what i need it to reliably for years to come, or is it a budget setup that will fall apart after a few trips in the cold of winter or thick bush?

Thank you all for any replies
Old 10-22-2014, 03:39 AM
Spike

Better then the guns you mentioned. It is not even in the same conversation as the Savage Axis or the Rem 783, in my opinion. ( I have an axis and my brother had a 783).

Your browning is a super quality gun and should last you a long time. We've got quite a few hunting rifles and my favorite is probably my X-bolt. I like it more then my Rem 700 .
Old 10-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

4-12x is a great scope to be on top of a .270
Old 10-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good "first rifle setup" !

Both calibers will kill anything in North America.

If you hunt small hoofed animals I would get a .270, if I was going to hunt large hoofed animals I would get a .308.

Bears even bigger..................

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-22-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

It won't fall apart and is a good setup. Enjoy your hunting and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Typical Buck

That's a GREAT combo, especially for a first one. It's ALOT more of a rig than the cheap pkg guns from Rem or Sav! Whoever bought that for you either knows a lil bit about guns or listened to decent advice at the gunshop.

With the right bullet & properly placed, the 270 will kill ANYTHING on the continent! I'd want something larger for the big bears but for all else the 270 is the greatest "non-mag that acts like a mag" in the biz!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good setup for you. Beats the Remington hands down.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

great set up i love 308s i think the rifle is also a good choice great setup dont know much about the remington 783 but if it is just a new 770 like rifle then you are way ahead of it with your gun happy hunting
Old 10-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Browning makes good quality rifles and shotguns. You didn't say what you will be hunting, but the .270 Win is a good cartridge for just about all North American game and most African plains game animals. I recently put a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 BBC scope on my 7mm Rem mag, and I am impressed with that scope.

I think you have a good rifle/cartridge/scope that will serve you well for a lifetime of hunting.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not familiar with that particular Browning botl action modl. However my experience with other Browning bolt models going back to the BBR has been excellent. The scope is a good choice. I think that if you become an avid hunter and can upgrade the scope down the road, you will. The Pro-Staff certainly should give you years of good service. The 270 Win. cartridge is about as good a choice for deer as there is. Most guys I hunt with that use the 270 Win. use a round that incorporates a 130 gr. bullet. You just need to find the load that groups the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.