Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Diy camo dip at home >

Diy camo dip at home

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Diy camo dip at home

Old 07-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Diy camo dip at home

I saw some vifeos on diy at home camo dipping. I was wondering if anyone had tried it. How did it go and does it hold up. I hate the desert tan color of my magpul stock and foregrip im thinkin bout dipping them inplace of the camo spray paint since ill be hunting with the ar

Last edited by bigtim6656; 07-28-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

friend of mine did two guns, they came out good. But with the price of the product, the time it took, make sure your place is well ventilated, clean up he said it would of been a better deal to have it done a professional. I had two done by a professional and they came out great
Old 07-29-2014, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 30-some years of hunting, the color of my rifle has never made a difference in whether or not my hunt was successful. For that matter, I didn't even start wearing camo clothing until after I retired from the Army, trying to find a use for 20+ years worth of duds I didn't need for work anymore.

I think there are plenty of other things to spend one's time and money worrying about than camo - ammunition and range time for starters.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
In 30-some years of hunting, the color of my rifle has never made a difference in whether or not my hunt was successful. For that matter, I didn't even start wearing camo clothing until after I retired from the Army, trying to find a use for 20+ years worth of duds I didn't need for work anymore.

I think there are plenty of other things to spend one's time and money worrying about than camo - ammunition and range time for starters.
True enough ... but if the OP wants to dip a rifle then I'd say go for it. Some folks want form plus function in their weapons. His nickel!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I built a set up to do my own hydrographics a few years ago, then realized how much I had invested in it, and forced myself to do enough projects to make it pay itself back vs. paying professionals to have done it.

Technique is everything, I hand dipped a few, then realized that having a motorized winch system to steadily and evenly lower the work piece is invaluable. The orientation and angle that you dip an object is also critical, otherwise the graphics will stretch or not fully bond to the object, and there's no good way to get a "do over" since the graphics pattern won't line up on a second dip. I also quickly learned that having a flush and overflow system to eliminate the waste gel matrix before removing the work piece is well worth the investment.

So yeah, to do ONE, or even 3 or 4 guns, you'll likely save yourself money by paying a professional to do it. I know I have a couple grand into my set up to do professional quality work, and you can get an AR done for a couple hundred. The bare bones "I can kinda do it myself" kit will cost you a few hundred, which is more than a single rifle dip job costs.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

After looking at the price and concern with dipping the collopsible stock the time it would take and material to get the hang of it first with other stuff ill let a pro do it. Plus I saw one vid done by a guy at the company that made it where the sides of the box he did looked like a pos camo job. Streached to the point the middle looked uncamoed
Old 07-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Dang Nomercy, you are right as rain, as usual.