Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 11-87 >

Remington 11-87

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 11-87

Old 06-29-2014, 03:15 PM
Spike

Default Remington 11-87

Hello everybody! I'm new to the forum and would like an opinion and even if this has happened to someone else. I bought a Remington 11-87 12 gauge today and ripped 9 shots out of it to get it going considering I will be using it for deer hunting and I loved the way it felt. Very comfortable, the recoil really wasn't all that bad and it was fun to shoot. I got home today and just because I took off the forend, I guess it was a good and bad thing I did. There is a small crack that obviously can't go any farther because it goes the length of the piece of wood where it is, but it's bothering me that now I know it's there. In the place that it is in, do you think it could potentially get worse in other areas and affect the gun in general?
Attached Thumbnails Remington 11-87-forearm-crack.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Yes there is a possibility of it getting worse. there are a few things you can do.
(1.If the gun is a new one take it back to the selling dealer and ask them to contact Remington for a fix under warranty.

(2. look into buying a new fore end thru a company like Brownells.

(3. Fill the crack with a good wood working epoxy to seal it from the weather and also put a stop to farther cracking.

I would go with number 1 my self and number 3 if there isn't a warranty.

Al
Old 06-30-2014, 04:36 AM
Spike

Looks like I'm going to go with #3 because it's a used gun and I might as well try that before going out and getting the new fore end. Thanks Al!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Follow the instructions and keep forcing it in the crack till you can't force any more in there.

There is a write up here in handy man mag on how to go about it. and what product to get.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/carpen...pairs/view-all

Al
Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 AM
Spike

Wow that's great, thanks a lot Al that will be very helpful. Hopefully no more issues after I take care of this one
Old 06-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Spike

Ok so I have an update because I became impatient and generally annoyed with it so I called Remington and listened to their horrible hold music for half an hour. I bought the Sporting Clays edition of the 11-87 that was converted to a slug gun with a rifled cantilever barrel with a scope on already. It turns out that the wood I fell in love with was the original stock and forearm of the Sporting Clays which is not meant to fit the size of the rifled barrel. The man at Remington said that it fits too tight which is why the forearm continues to crack. There was a small crack in the forearm on the outside that I told them to repair which is why I became skeptical when it cracked once again in a different spot after only 9 shots. So now I have to order the forearm and stock combo from Remington that will actually fit the size of the rifled barrel and not crack as this one has been doing. But I guess for another $115 to get this problem solved, and many years of hunting to come, it's worth it! I hope
Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

get the part # and google it for the best price, I'm sure you will find it cheaper in price then from Remington
Old 07-01-2014, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I am skeptical on the slug barrel being of greater diameter so the forearm cracked.
Haven't ever heard of any body else having the same problem that switched out barrels.
Lots of 1100 and 1187 have been made into slug guns too.

Al
Old 07-01-2014, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs down BBL problem

What Remi told you is total B.S. Iv'e changed bbls on 870,1100's and 1187's. never had a problem with them. Only once on a older 870 Wing master , when i changed the 28" full to the skeet bbl, it was a tight fit. But it worked fine. Do like the other member's said, get the part's you need from some body that know's what there talking about.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just another black mark of many against Remington with their shoddy product QC, trigger recall, and poor customer service nowadays!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.