Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

17 Mach 2 Status??

Old 06-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default 17 Mach 2 Status??

I've been researching this caliber lately due to ground squirrel opportunities starting to crop up on smaller parcels of land. The need for something that isn't as loud and doesn't ricochet is limiting the cartridge choices and my 22's just aren't making it. I've been seeing some posts that this cartridge is on the way to being obsolete, etc. Others have posted that Hornady is still determined to support this cartridge. So far, Savage seems to be the only mainstream gun manufacturer still making affordable rifles in this caliber. Does anybody know any more info on this caliber, etc.?
Old 06-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't remember the last time I saw .17 HM2 ammunition for sale. I've inquired of two large retailers whether the non-availability of rimfire ammunition is hurting their sales of rimfire rifles and pistols in general, and both replied to the affirmative - save the .17 HMR, which I do commonly see ammo on the shelf for.

I'd say that the future doesn't look all that bright for the HM2 unless this rimfire ammo thing gets figured out soon.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd sure enjoy an 8 shot 6" SP101 in 17HM2, but alas, I don't believe it'll ever happen.

I've seen a few scattered boxes here and there, but honestly, it's not really much lower supply than the past few years before the current situation began. It was hard to find even in the years that folks were chambering rifles for it, and thereafter, it was a crapshoot. Whether that dries up entirely as an effect of this rimfire shortage and seals the casket on the 17hm2, we've yet to see. I'm prone to believe otherwise, since I'm prone to believe there's enough demand from the ownership base, and there's enough investment capital in the tooling to produce it to continue making a limited supply. Maybe that's just wishful thinking...
Old 06-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks everybody and I hope your prognosis is correct NM. Out of curiosity, is anybody seeing 17 HM2 ammo in stock in different gun stores, etc.? I can find 17 HMR hit or miss, just about never see 22 LR and can't recall having seen 17 HM2 although I haven't been specifically looking for it.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

About a month ago in Virginia my cousin bought a brick of hornady 17 mach2 ammo. I was at the same store sat and they had about 2 boxs of them I thing $7 a box. They also had probly 5 or 6 bricks of that Mexican 22 ammo it was $85 bought the last brick of federal game shok solids for $38. Did find 3 boss of win super x 22 magnums at walmart.

Last edited by Bbj270; 06-25-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd sure enjoy an 8 shot 6" SP101 in 17HM2, but alas, I don't believe it'll ever happen.
NM: You could get a single-six in .17HMR if you really want a .17 in a pistol.

Out of curiosity, is anybody seeing 17 HM2 ammo in stock in different gun stores, etc.? I can find 17 HMR hit or miss, just about never see 22 LR and can't recall having seen 17 HM2 although I haven't been specifically looking for it.
CalHunter: Phoenix, AZ here. I don't remember the last time I saw .17HMR2 but like you I do not look for it either. About the only time I think of it is when I am buying .17 and I double check to make sure it is not .17HMR2. And like you .22 is still a rare find. This .22 shortage is getting old. I am finding stacks of: .223, 7.62, 9mm, .45acp but .22 is no where to be found. I guess there is a whole new demand for .22 and the industry has just not yet caught up with it.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
NM: You could get a single-six in .17HMR if you really want a .17 in a pistol.
I've been close to buying, but have passed on the Single Six a few times, have a DA Taurus Tracker 17. The SP101 would be a little smaller, and of course, a RUGER. The allure for me is exactly that, a 17HM2 in an 8 shot SP101 as a kit gun.

I'd love to take a shot at a convertible 6" SP101 17hmr/17hm2. Just gotta find somebody that's willing to make me a barrel.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

I see 17hm2 in a couple stores around here in va and see it online, I think hornady and cci are the only 2 makers of it (hornady might make cci). Ive heard rumblings about it being discontinued but seems like I saw in another forum where a guy emailed hornady about it and they responded back they have no plans to stop production.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the responses guys. I believe I've read the same forum post and was curious to see if other people were finding HM2 ammo or not. I already have one HMR but am seriously considering trying to find an HM2 rifle for the ammo cost factor and reduced chances of ricochets.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Bought a box of hornady yesterday in va they said they get about a brick a week in and sell them fast. Cci makes the hornady 17mach2 and the 17 hmr now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.