Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Rifle??

Old 06-24-2014, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
OK gonna go out on a limb. Why a 223 to kill a turkey at 50 yds?
Personal preference.

Personally, I don't like the performance of even the most premium shotshells on turkeys. Trailing a wounded bird isn't like trailing a wounded deer. If it's not Dead-Right-There, it'll be Dead-Right-Somewhere-Else by tomorrow morning.

Personally, it's been my experience that any hit with a CF rifle will put a bird down. A miss is a miss. I don't hunt turkeys to feed coyotes.

Personally, I've had two coyotes respond to my turkey calling in the spring. I'll take the opportunity to reduce the coyote population any chance I get. With a rifle, I don't even have to switch ammo.

Personally, I like my shotguns for wingshooting. It just doesn't seem natural using them to "Arkansas" some poor creature on the ground. And the specialized shotguns I see guys lugging into the woods (M4-type stocks, pistol grips, camo, special chokes, rifle sights, etc.). That's not a "shotgun" anymore, in MY opinion, but I don't generally tell them that.

Personally, I think most people overestimate the range at which their shotgun is going to be effective. 50 yards? IF you have the right choke and the right ammo. How about 75 yards? 100? One has only to spend some time in a goose pit and listen to the "skybusters" to know just how great the temptation is to take a bit longer poke at birds, particularly if they're getting spooky.

We all have choices. I've used shotguns. I prefer a rifle. To each his own.